Plantar fasciitis

OlegV

It just wouldn't go away no matter how long I taper myself. I think I developed it from the trail running and wearing wrong shoes. It hurt when I go downhill. I switched to biking but my foot still sores. Anyone got similar experiences? I tried ice, iboprofin and simple rest. It is still there. Thanks.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife had it too (she is a runner), and she got rid of it by a brutal massage. A chiropractor massaged her foot with a big metal cylinder. Apparently, it breaks down the scar tissue in your tendon and regenerates the growth. It is a very painful procedure though.

I had this a long time ago and it eventually went away. No specific treatment though. I do make sure I have good running shoes with good arch support. Stretching is also important, both calf and those towel stretches.

I wonder what Layton's take is?

A lot of times, it's not inflammation, but tissue necrosis from improper foot biomechanics. Graston or Gua-Shaw (sp?) technique that Oleg mentioned is good for stripping out the scar tissue. But you have to fix why it occured - not just the symptoms. Are you getting enough support from your shoe? Is it cushioned enough? Is the toe box too narrow (HUGE!), do you over-pronate, under-pronate? Are your feet weak (golf ball exercises and towel rolls)? Are the joints of your feet moving properly. Are your calfs and hamstrings too tight (also HUGE) -stretch and possible posterior night splint.

See someone that seems like they stay current on this condition, because the old therapies are being scrutinized and new ideas are taking their place (like what I just wrote about).

It just wouldn't go away no matter how long I taper myself. I think I developed it from the trail running and wearing wrong shoes. It hurt when I go downhill. I switched to biking but my foot still sores. Anyone got similar experiences? I tried ice, iboprofin and simple rest. It is still there. Thanks.

memememmemememememememmemememem

i have been suffering for almost a year. it got really bad when i broke my foot in march.

I had cotazone shots today. the shots hurt like hell. why did i get them? does anyone know?

:cry: i need to find a physical theripist too.

A lot of times, it's not inflammation, but tissue necrosis from improper foot biomechanics. Graston or Gua-Shaw (sp?) technique that Oleg mentioned is good for stripping out the scar tissue. But you have to fix why it occured - not just the symptoms. Are you getting enough support from your shoe? Is it cushioned enough? Is the toe box too narrow (HUGE!), do you over-pronate, under-pronate? Are your feet weak (golf ball exercises and towel rolls)? Are the joints of your feet moving properly. Are your calfs and hamstrings too tight (also HUGE) -stretch and possible posterior night splint.....

I don't think I ever got it full-blown, but I really aggravated my arch going for a long trail run in crappy shoes with poor arch support. I was already doing pilates for my back, and started with a bunch of foot/ankle/calf/hip excercises to correct some deficiencies that were impacting my biomechanics. It was a big help. The pilates studio also had this metal roller thingamabob that I'd weight to massage my arch that seemed to help.

Actually the Graston technique shouldn't hurt that bad. Check out the college I went to - they use it and they are cheap. Out of the way and slow, but cheap.

Muffy, cortison used to be the treatment of choice, but now is more of a last resort. Cortison only helps stop inflammation, but it can liquify surrounding tissue. Good if it's inflammed...bad if it's already necrotic (dying) tissue. I assume they know what they are doing, but beware if they keep doing injections...very dangerous. Maybe this will nip it in the bud, let's hope so.

I was walking barefoot on a sticky hard wood floor about a month ago and seemed to strain my plantar fasia pretty bad (I over pronate). My arch swelled up like heck, and I couldn't walk for a couple days. Now things are OK, I just can't walk barefoot for too long. It seems to me that proper biomechanics is crucial for this problem, because when I don't wear my orthotics or am not walking "correctly", it comes back in a hurry. I'm hoping this small injury doesn't turn into a big deal.

Also, Layton, I read that runners and walkers who do their stuff barefoot have the lowest incident of plantar fasciitis. I'm guessing this is because they have trained themselves to have solid biomechanics and have fantastic strength in the associated muscles. Yeah?

I've suffered with this in varying degrees for years.

Do take advil.

Don't walk around bare foot (barefeet outside for the day equals death for me).

Do stretch (and run the heel of your hand on the arch of your foot to stretch the tendon).

Do ice the contact point of the tendon to your heal bone.

Don't forget to wear your orthodics in your shoes/boots (or whatever shoe inserts you use).

Do force yourself to take breaks from training when it's acting up.

If I do the preceeding items I generally am pain-free.

For me this is just something I have to live with so my steps are just to keep it in check and not to "cure" the condition. Hell maybe I should look into the "cylinder of pain" that your wife used!

Actually the Graston technique shouldn't hurt that bad. Check out the college I went to - they use it and they are cheap. Out of the way and slow, but cheap.

Muffy, cortison used to be the treatment of choice, but now is more of a last resort. Cortison only helps stop inflammation, but it can liquify surrounding tissue. Good if it's inflammed...bad if it's already necrotic (dying) tissue. I assume they know what they are doing, but beware if they keep doing injections...very dangerous. Maybe this will nip it in the bud, let's hope so.

we are getting last resortish here. i am not getting very much relief from any thing. i am at the point where i feel like i am going to have to start learning to live with the pain rather than waiting for it to go away.

Muffy, I was in a boot cast for a couple months last year from screwing up my foot. I have arch issues now and loss of flexibility. Lots of scar tissue. No problem because I am working on it. I suggest to Get a good Physical Therapist and get on a regimine.

You aren't born knowing how to move properly and know every little thing about your body, they've gone to school for many years to tell you what to do, and show you.

Doctors can only tell you what's wrong with you, which can be very disappointing. PT's can show you that you can retrain your body, just don't give up on it. Believe me, pain takes a long time to get over, but it does and can get better with proper treatment.

On the scheme of my experiencing body pain now, the foot is only mildly irritating at times.

Don't do Neo Vita!! I did waste my money on this and after more than $300.00 and three visited ( returned twice ) I tossed the arch supports,

went to Walgreens picked up a good pair of

$10.0 arch supports and haven't had one day of pain since.

It can be very painful however it can be dealt with for almost nothing

Muffy, I was in a boot cast for a couple months last year from screwing up my foot. I have arch issues now and loss of flexibility. Lots of scar tissue. No problem because I am working on it. I suggest to Get a good Physical Therapist and get on a regimine.

You aren't born knowing how to move properly and know every little thing about your body, they've gone to school for many years to tell you what to do, and show you.

Doctors can only tell you what's wrong with you, which can be very disappointing. PT's can show you that you can retrain your body, just don't give up on it. Believe me, pain takes a long time to get over, but it does and can get better with proper treatment.

On the scheme of my experiencing body pain now, the foot is only mildly irritating at times.

my original injury was almost a year ago. when i broke my foot in march the planter facsiitis become much worse. go figure. I have my first PT appointment on august 15th. i hope it works. the cortazone shots helped a little bit. the swelling is down a bit. the thing is, i have had worse pain. when i tore all the muscles away from my spine in high school, well that was hell and giving birth HELL, and the 14 years of endomitriosis... well that was so terrible. i think i just resent pain now.

thank you for the words of encouragement. I am glad to know you are doing so much better :)

Jesus Muffy!

I hope the shots work, but since it's a year old injury, I really doubt they will. Have you tried accupuncture...by a real practitioner? I bet that is what you need. Sounds more like a chronic pain syndrome, kinda like fibromyalgia without the whole body hurt. Maybe not, just an idea since it seems like you've been all over the board with this injury. Have you been checked for autoimmune disorders? Wait and see what the shots do 1st. Let me know what happens, okay?

Hey, Oleg,

I was wondering what you've been up to. Dealt with this a while back. The podiatrist recommended me to massage the feet with a golf ball, and that helped lots. He also fitted me with custom orthotics. I took six months off of running, but I don't know if that's necessary or not (as you know, I also had achilles tendinitis at the time).

He also sent me to Pace Setter (running shoe fitter at 43rd and SE Woodstock) and every time I go there, they watch me run and then pick out shoes that fit my running gait. Been doing fine for three years straight. Though I doubt I can keep up with you on a trail, hehe.

Not saying my problems are the same as yours, though. I'm sure Mike has a good handle on this stuff. Hope you get well soon so we can hit Tryon again!

I got this really bad a few years ago from being too cheap to buy new running shoes. The only ting I have to add: for short term pain relief take a nalgene bottle and freeze it. During the day when you're sitting at your desk take off your shoes and socks and roll your feet back and forth on the frozen nalgene bottle. It seemed to really help with pain relief and swelling.

Jesus Muffy!

I hope the shots work, but since it's a year old injury, I really doubt they will. Have you tried accupuncture...by a real practitioner? I bet that is what you need. Sounds more like a chronic pain syndrome, kinda like fibromyalgia without the whole body hurt. Maybe not, just an idea since it seems like you've been all over the board with this injury. Have you been checked for autoimmune disorders? Wait and see what the shots do 1st. Let me know what happens, okay?

the cortazone made my feet hurt like hell and then made them numb for a day or so and now they are back to just hurting like normal.i have been checked out for autoimmune and everything else i could think of. I had a work up blood tests and all at the doc recently.

my fear is that i am dealing with some massive food intolerances and what this is going to boil down to is me changing my relationship with food totaly. i have some other soft tissue issues going on and i think although medicaly it is hard to tie them all together that they are all conected some how.