[TR] Prusik Peak - South Face S-B route/West Face

olyclimber

Trip: Prusik Peak - South Face S-B route/West Face Adventure Climbing

Date: 7/27/2007

Trip Report:

This past weekend I went up into the Enchantments with three others, included Sir Hansel teh Great. Jeff and I went cragging on Prusik a couple of times. First we climbed the das toof...errr...Stanley-Burgner south face route. This is truly a super classic alpine climb, every pitch was very fun, and the line is so cool.

firstpitchSB.jpg

secondpitchSB.jpg

moresecondpitchSB.jpg

chockstonepitchSB.jpg

finalpitchSB.jpg

Failing Upwards

The next day we decided to go climb the West Face, a route put up by Boving and some other guy that tops out just after the first horn on the West Ridge. For beta we had a crumpled up photocopy of the route drawn (roughly) on a photo, and Beckey's brief description. We started up the 5.9 lie-back pitch, but quickly got off route by going up left to a roof/cave and it was time for some adventure climbing. From there we climbed over the roof to a fun left leaning hand -to- off width crack and ended up right below the yellow spot on the West Face. The tiny crack above looked like it may have been aided, but we decided to rap from a newer looking nut someone who had come up this way before us had left. We rapped down and pendulumed slightly to the left, down to another anchor someone had left (a small single skinny mammut sling on a horn with a leaver biner). From there we climbed a fun crack with hard roof moves (OK, I frenched it), and over to the two trees prominent in most pictures of the West Face. At this point we weren't sure which way to climb, but I remembered that I had taken a few pictures with my digital camera, so we looked at those pics on the LCD and low and behold we need to go up (straight up). Jeff went up and while belaying I discovered the rope had tangled on the tree and Jeff yelled down for more rope ("MORE #$^(%*$#(& ROPE NOW WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING!!!" to be precise). Following him up I discovered the cause of the excitement was some pretty tough, perhaps "R" rated climbing. Another easy, short pitch and we were on the West Ridge, where we down climbed the West Ridge route. That next to last pitch left me wondering if Jeff might take the crown and title away from THE BIG BALLER. I was glad he climbed it though, with a single rope our descent options were pretty much zero. Jeff freed the entire climb clean.

This is how we rolled:

westfaceroutemarked.jpg

Here is a picture of Jeff going off route on the second pitch of the West Ridge:

weststart.jpg

pitch11.jpg

pitch2.jpg

pitch3.jpg

pitch3b.jpg

pitch4.jpg

pitch5.jpg

last.jpg

Love,

Olyclimber

Some dudes on the West Ridge crux (Friday, I think)

westridgeclimbers.jpg

Goat-see:

camp3.jpg

reflection1.jpg

Gear Notes:

For S-B South Face: Standard recommended rack

For West Ridge Adventure Climbing: Up to #4 camalot would have been nice. Jeff made it work with largest being #2 and running it out.

Approach Notes:

In/out snow lake. Many Goat-sees.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic