Crampons for tele boots

fleblebleb

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a pair of those, the steel version with the Scottish toe (like the picture) and the step-in heel (not like the picture).

They don't work on tele boots because the tele boot doesn't fit between the two metal thingies that the plastic toe strap is attached to... [Frown]

They're great crampons though.

quote:

Originally posted by fleblebleb:

That @#$% toe always gets in the way. I'd like to be able to use the same crampons for plastic tele boots and soft leather hikers/sneakers. Anybody have a rec? Preferrably aluminum ones?

I haven't found any aluminums that work, yet. But then I've given up trying, because kicking steps in tele boots blows. For my tele boots I have a pair of Grivel 2F's with the weirdo sprung wire toe. I know people who use BD Sabretooths - they seem to work better than the 2F's and are more versatile as a climbing crampon(not to mention a better crampon on the whole)

Carl

quote:

Originally posted by fleblebleb:

They don't work on tele boots because the tele boot doesn't fit between the two metal thingies that the plastic toe strap is attached to...

I have the aluminum stubai ones, and I'm pretty sure I've used them on my tele boots before. I just checked now, and the toe tab (T3's) does fit between the metal thingies on the front (just barely). Maybe the steel ones are of a different width.

[ 06-04-2002, 10:41 PM: Message edited by: philfort ]

quote:

Originally posted by bellemontagne:

What tele boots do you have?? I heard a rumour that Black Diamond Sabretooths will fit tele boots (although they may only fit Scarpa boots).

I've gotten Sabretooths to work on both Supercomps and Snowfields. I don't know about other brands of plastic boots.

Carl

quote:

Originally posted by AllYouCanEat:

Get the heaviest, biggest ones you can find, like the old foot fangs.
[big Grin]
Plus the toe is all you need. With that you don't need crampons...

LIsten to AllYouCanEat.

I too use an old pair of footfangs on my Scarpa T1s. They keep my boot from flexing and I know they won't break.

I have used both the foot fang and the sabertooths with my T2's and both have worked excellent, although neither are the lightest of the bunch. The extra weight hasn't seemed like much of a problem considering how much nicer it is to carve turns while everyone else is schlepping their way down.

My scarpa T-2's kick steps very well and for technical climbing they perform well with a pair of rigid crampons (I have Grivel Rambo's), but as noted above the toe extension really does get in the way some times -- especially on rock (without crampons) or when wearing flexible crampons. I'm sure I'll destroy the Rambo's if I wear them for extended walking but so far I have seen no damage using them for technical climbs in the Tatoosh and the Snoqualmie Alps, and on Colchuck Peak, and I've used this combination with positive results for mixed climbing and for water ice up to WI4. My 25 year old LaPrade flexible crampons with an old-fashioned strap system go on the tele boots just fine, but this combination does not perform well for anything but glacier hiking and moderate ice like found on volcano climbs or the "standard" routes on most N. Cascade peaks.

I have Merrill super comps (leather) and use my old smc strap ons. The 75 mm toe fits between the two forward posts (metal thingies) perfectly. Probably not much good for extended front pointing, but just fine for frenchie stuff.

Some older crampons have adjustable width bars between the 2 front posts. Search second hand stores like the one in Ballard.

The key to combining steep icy slopes with tele skiing is tricky. It helps to have good french technique down. Too many climbers start front pointing way before they need too!