how much are you willing to pay?

knotzen

I get free coffee from a cousin that travels regularly to Columbia and Guatemala on business. I have a Mr. Coffee on my desk at work. MMMmmm... Free Columbian coffee. I figure I save at least $500-$600 a year over what I would pay for it in the cafeteria at work.

There's a 24-hour Starbucks drive-through near the I-5 on ramp (Northgate) near where I live. I hit that one on my way out of town on weekends.

I am set!

:)

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wtf? who flickin' cares...

Um, whatEVer.

yeah, whatever to you...why don't you use that big fat ms salary you were spewing about to buy a 10 muthafukin' visit punch card and quit bitchin...jeezus

:rolleyes:

:fahq:

whoops...scratch that last post...got you confused with snugtop...proceed on...

Edited by RuMR

If you like the products that an independent business sells more than those sold by a larger operation, if you find the service more attentive, the selection more to your liking, purchasing the product or service provided by the said operation makes you feel good about yourself, etc - then this is a matter of your preferences at work and/or the smaller operation simply earning your business through excellence. This is not altruism, and any business that actually depends upon altruism to keep it's doors open will not last very long. The difference in total compensation between Starbucks and local shops is also probably negligble and, if anything, probably tilts in the favor of Starbucks. There's also the fact that Starbucks can be credited with creating the market for gourmet coffees that the small shops now operate in.

The Catholic Church of yore sold indulgences to the faithful to absolve them of their sins and re-establish their standing in the eyes of god and did pretty well at it, and evidently the boutique coffee shops of today are doing pretty well serving the same impulses through a different market, although the deity in question here is clearly the consumer's self-image.

Well said. Good observations on many levels.

wtf? who flickin' cares...

psssst. Only 98% of the climbing world cares! Seriously, getting up any moutain would be unthinkable without caffeine gurgling through the legs veins!

thtat you think you need caffein shows you are week. i never need cafiend outside. just when i am at my desk ;)

I know how to turn this political (as if it already isn't) --

The head of Starbucks used to own the Seattle SuperSonics. He sold them out to a punk-ass from OK City who is now going to move the team there. So I hate Starbucks for ALL the reasons listed above, plus the fact that Seattle's first pro sports team is now leaving....

So, as if I needed another reason, I want to jump on the "F*&^ Starbucks" bandwagon too!!!

Another why of saying it: "Their coffee may be dramatically over-priced, but at least the quality is super-low!!!"

Seattle's first pro sports team is now leaving....

Good, I hope they all leave. I'm tired of my tax dollars subsidizing pro sports arenas. I'm still at a complete loss as to why our football team and baseball team both needed their own fucking stadiums. What a waste of space and money.

Good, I hope they all leave. I'm tired of my tax dollars subsidizing pro sports arenas. I'm still at a complete loss as to why our football team and baseball team both needed their own fucking stadiums. What a waste of space and money.

Pfft. First Pro Team? Pls. No love for the Seattle Metropolitans?

metsteam.jpg

Or how the voters rejected Safeco field and our legislators did it anyway. :tdown:

the coffee at the local shop by my house SUX. they aren't open when i leave for work. their service is painfully slow. --good morning starbucks!

you can bitch all you want about stadiums and sports teams and your tax dollars. however, a large chunk of that money comes from a hotel and restaurant tax. i don't mind paying an extra $0.50 dollars/$100 spent at a restaurant and i don't frequent seattle area hotels so it's not so much of a problem for me.

do you suppose that there is no positive economic impact from the pro sporting franchises in this area? i guess if you believe that then that hotel and restaurant tax is a waste of time.

you can bitch all you want about stadiums and sports teams and your tax dollars. however, a large chunk of that money comes from a hotel and restaurant tax. i don't mind paying an extra $0.50 dollars/$100 spent at a restaurant and i don't frequent seattle area hotels so it's not so much of a problem for me.

do you suppose that there is no positive economic impact from the pro sporting franchises in this area? i guess if you believe that then that hotel and restaurant tax is a waste of time.

I bitch about how the legislature held an emergency session to pass a tax onto a people whom already had voted against said funding...

the coffee at the local shop by my house SUX. they aren't open when i leave for work. their service is painfully slow. --good morning starbucks!

Of course a sports' team has benefits for the area. However, I don't support corporate welfare and corporate extortion - whether it comes from a sports franchise or any other industry. And that's what these teams do when they want their new stadium.

And it irks me to no end that the Kingdome wasn't even paid off when they demolished it!

F*ck Starbucks. Go to a local shop instead.

Starbucks blows!!! Not just becuase they are a chain, but because their coffee sucks. As far how much I am willing to pay for a good cup of coffee I guess it is pretty dependant on how bad I want it. I never though I would find my self paying $10 for a small bottle of beer, but damn when there isn't any choices and you want a good beer, it is amazing what you will pay. I feel the same way about my coffee.