Tacoma Suggestions

rmncwrtr

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The E9 brew pub is a great place for excellent microbrew and pub grub. Trail running in Point Defiance Park is surprisingly good. Haven't been, but I hear the Museum of Glass is well worth a visit. If fine fine dining is your thing there is the Melting Pot and El Gaucho's in the recently revitalized downtown area.

If you're going to Point Defiance, be sure to drop in at the Antique Sandwich Company in Ruston on the way(it'll be on your left. 5102 N. Pearl St., 253-752-4069.) Way cool hippie vibe, and great healthy food. They hold a great open mic at 7pm(?) Tuesday nights that is worth getting there early for in order to get a seat. It's a fun and cheap night on the town.

Yeah, I'll second the Antique and Museum of Glass. Spire Rock is worth a visit also, if for no other reason than it's historic old school nature, plus it's free, and its never occurred to me to go there after dark. Hells Kitchen if you wanna mosh to some punk rawk (good show on the 21st) or Jazzbones if you want something milder. Get your picture taken in front of the Poodle Dog restaurant. Check out the Java Jive. Johnny's at Fife used to make a killer hot fudge sundae back in the day. Watch out for the godforsaken road work on I-5 south of the Tacoma Dome.

Edgeworks gym if you want to play on some plastic.

Point Defiance is well worth a trip. I can second the Antique recommendations - great place for lunch or breakfast. The Rosewood Cafe and Mandolin cafe are also good sandwich places.

Museum of glass, Tacoma Art Museum, and the Washington State Historical Museum are all downtown and worth the time. Across the street from them the Harmon is a great brew pub. Just up the UWT stairs on the left is Metro Coffee, best espresso/coffee in town. The Swiss is also a good pub with great sandwiches. The rock serves decent pasta and good Pizza. 6th Ave has a number of clubs with a variety of music including Jazzbones, a great Jazz venu. The Antique does Open mic on tuesday nights and shakabrah java does open mic on Weds.

Italian - Il Fiasco and Primo Grill on 6th ave. Pomodoro in the Proctor district

Indian - Gateway to India on 6th, and India Mahal in University Place

Thai - tons of em but my favs are Silk Thai on 6th, East & West on Proctor, and Indochine downtown.

Mexican - Vuelva A La Vida REAL mexican - best in town. La Fondita on Proctor is not bad either.

Pizza - Farrellis on 6th (but can be very busy Fri & Sat) Puget Sound Pizza, The Rock, all have good pizza.

Jim Couch

Stay far, far away from Lakewood, Tillicum, Parkland, and Ponders Corner...and Hilltop.

I agree with most of these, if not for safety reasons, for lack of any good reason to go there. Hilltop, however, is not the place it used to be. Lots of young, middle class couples and families moving there, much remodeling of older houses, etc. People used to say not to go to the Central District in Seattle, too, but look at it now. I think hilltop is moving in a similar direction (although perhaps 15-20 years behind).

Anyway, all the good restaurants that I would suggest have been mentioned, so I will just add COFFEE.

COFFEE: Firehouse at the corner of 6th ave and Union is far and away the best coffee I have had in Tacoma. Go there. Other viable options (in order of preference) are: Blackwater Cafe between 7th and 9th on Fawcett (downtown) and Cutters Point on Pacific Ave near the University of Tacoma and on 6th ave really far west.

...Cutters Point on Pacific Ave near the University of Tacoma...

I live in Tacoma's "eastside", McKinley hill yo! and work at the evil green giant just a block away (north) from the above mentioned coffee shop. I have to say from personal experience and customer comments, they leave a wee bit to be desired. If you stop in during the evening periods, just hop over to the aforementioned "green giant" and my cohorts and I will provide you with beverage magic.

The downtown area is a superb hang out spot with some great free stuff:

- Every third thursday all three of the Museums are free (I think there might be a time window so dbl check on that part.

- Downtown farmers market on Broadway Thur. 9:00am to 2:00pm (May 17th - Oct. 18th) Tacoma farmers market

- The Rock and The Harmon both offer passable and rustic local beers and foods.

- Every Friday night on Puyallup Ave, under the 705 freeway is a HUGE food, music, and warm blanket givaway fest for people in need, so if you feel so inclined, dress up in your best scarfing wear and head over for some free fun!

- Puyallup ave and L street up to the dome area and around McKinley Park is a sweet place to score some meth and a chance to meet one of our local "ladies". I like to call them the "shrunken applehead queens",if you dont mind a woman thats all gums then your good to go.

One last tip for a fun quick outing.

Check for a low tide and drive to Point Defiance. Head to the Owen beach parking lot and hike the beach ALL the way around to the small and quaint community of Salmon Beach. A steep set of stairs will see back up to the top and you can walk the trails or road back to your car at Owen beach. Roughly 4 miles and some nice wild beach scenery despite being in the middle of a city.

Good luck man and have fun!

Thanks again. Add in visits to Exit 38 and I'm set for the next week and a half with all these suggestions. Shouldn't miss the family too much if I keep busy. Just hope mr.rmncwrtr manages with the three little ones! I'm definitely getting the better end of things this time ;)