Recumbent Bikes/Trikes anyone?

Fairweather

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Recumbants are for old people who are afraid of falling down and breaking a hip. Seriously, they are a pain in the ass, becuase of extra cabling usually the gears and brakes don't work as well. Wheels need more work than normal bikes because it is dificult to lift up over bumps, this mean more hub adjustment and truing of wheel. You are more limited in the amount of stuff you can carry. It is also hard for vehicles to see you on the road ways, so there is more of risk of getting hit. Finally they are way more expensive than traditional bikes. No need to reinvent the wheel, at least yet not until they come up with better designs.

It is also hard for vehicles to see you on the road ways, so there is more of risk of getting hit.

This is one of my biggest arguements against recumbants as commuter bikes. Most seasoned recumbant commuters sport some raised hi viz flag or the like. That's more bike riga-ma-role and more drag when it's windy. Plus is a flag really as effective as lights or reflective stuff on your helmet?

-r

I've tried the two-wheelers and don't like them. Felt very vunerable down low. That said, I regularly come across a few while commuting and talked to these folks who seem to have no problem. A couple of them said they went to a recubant to take the stress off their back and they were happy with the results.

I've tried the two-wheelers and don't like them. Felt very vunerable down low. That said, I regularly come across a few while commuting and talked to these folks who seem to have no problem. A couple of them said they went to a recubant to take the stress off their back and they were happy with the results.

Yeah your back will bother you cycling on regular bikes if you are too damn lazy to work your core and strech every once and a while. Recumbants are for couch potatoes, I am surprised they haven't started building them with cup holders for the 32 oz. soda cup and a tray for your burger and fries.

Get some perspective guys- although recumbents might not be cool enough for you, there's no reason to trash FW or his interest in them.

Anything that motivates folks to bike more and drive less is awesome.

More power to you, Fairweather.

Get some perspective guys- although recumbents might not be cool enough for you, there's no reason to trash FW or his interest in them.

Word. Cool enough for these homies, cool enough for Fairweather.

file.jpg

Word. Cool enough for these homies, cool enough for Fairweather.

I'm sure plenty of dorky photos of wedgies can be found too.

I used to ride the Burke between my place and work in Redmond (regular bike), and I saw some guys on low profile trikes going hella fast... faster than any wedgie was capable of moving. These guys were not couch potatos. Check out the Windcheetah. I was considering getting one, but decided that 4K could be better used elsewhere.

I agree, get more people on bikes, of any kind.

Edited by octavius

Yeah your back will bother you cycling on regular bikes if you are too damn lazy to work your core and strech every once and a while. Recumbants are for couch potatoes, I am surprised they haven't started building them with cup holders for the 32 oz. soda cup and a tray for your burger and fries.

Hey now. You being so critcal is mean. I won't make fun of them anymore now that I know some people really cannot ride a regular bike. No matter how "strong" their core is.

My cousin got kicked in the privates playing soccer and had to have surgery years later, if he rides a reg. bike the scar tissue will build up and he won't be able to pee. He lives in San Fran, and a bike is really the only way he can get around.

For me, I haven't even tried riding a bike yet, only recumbant at the gym. 1)I am scared to fall and break my hip. 2) I cannot sit well with pressure on my sacrum.

If I am not able to ride a bike, recumbant will probably be an alright alternative.

Hey now. You being so critcal is mean. I won't make fun of them anymore now that I know some people really cannot ride a regular bike. No matter how "strong" their core is.

My cousin got kicked in the privates playing soccer and had to have surgery years later, if he rides a reg. bike the scar tissue will build up and he won't be able to pee. He lives in San Fran, and a bike is really the only way he can get around.

For me, I haven't even tried riding a bike yet, only recumbant at the gym. 1)I am scared to fall and break my hip. 2) I cannot sit well with pressure on my sacrum.

If I am not able to ride a bike, recumbant will probably be an alright alternative.

I believe there is legit uses for recumbents such as the situation with your cousin and you, but in general, like I said earlier recumbent are expensive POS. They are hard to work on, and there is issues with brakes, shifting and the wheels. Most people I see using them (I use to work in a bike shop and in my opinion and that is all it is, an opinion) people who ride them are lazy. In the past I have felt good when I have help someone get fitted on a recumbent or trike who for one reason or another could not ride a normal bike. On the same hand I have dealt with customers who could ride a normal bike and I have discussed all of the issues with them about these bikes and they have still decided to go ahead and purchase one, and then come back complaining and end up being the biggest pain in the ass customers I have had to deal with when working in the bike shop (the only exception was the freaky guy who use to come in all unshaven in ratty shirt and way too short shorts, trying to pick up on James the young guy in the shop).

Octavius, I don't consider myself a fast rider, but there has not been a single time I have ever been passed by a recumbent. I checked out the windcheeta, again expensive junk. Cons: price, not many option for tires, excessive weight (33 or 28lbs), have to learn to use not so straight forward steering, low profile makes it difficult to see on road ways, accesories very expensive. Pros: stable, trike design easier on the wheels, normal length cabling.

Edited by ken4ord