Your ideal town

tobefree

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, I grew up on the prairie in MT (foothills of the rookies). I figure that when its family time or I get old I'll move back somewhere to the mountains of MT (Dearborn/Bozeman) or perhaps ID. Somewhere out of Portland...the winters are too dark out here for me.

Towns around here I'd live in.

Mazama

Seattle (my home and paradise!) More climbers per capita than any other city in North America including Canmore, SLC, or Boulder?

Leavenworth

Vancouver, BC

Winthrop

Twisp

Whistler, BC

Squamish, BC (although smith has better rock climbing, cool mts. are up in the squamish area!).

Ellensburg

Ashford- This place is gonna boom someday! Love the Highlander bar!

Lillooet, BC- maybe (I've never been outside of ice climbing season)

Bellingham

--------

Climber towns that are Nos for me personally:

North Bend-to much rain! double the amount of annual precip of Seattle. 100+ inches some years.

Tacoma- to sketchy for crime. My brother lives down in the area and tells me plenty of stories.

Portland: No ice climbing or serious alpine

Yakima: scary

I've had the privilage to be born and raised in Bonners Ferry (great climbing and skiing nearby, plus cheap) and have lived in Sandpoint, Anchorage, Winthrop, Twisp, Priest Lake, Seattle, Spokane, Boise, several other non-climbing destinations around the globe, and lastly McCall. For the skier/climber/kayaker/sailor I strive to be, McCall has them all beat.

But each has its merits. I would add to the above list of possibilities these other worthy locations; Nelson BC, Red Lodge MT, Bigfork MT, Libby MT, Invermere BC, Rossland BC, Stanley ID, and Wenatchee.

1) Seattle: my home since the begining of time. My time that is!

2) Port Townsend: Second home. Still close to the Cascades, and damn close to the Olympics.

3) Sanfransico: the damn coolest and nicest feeling city EVER. Even if the climbing scence is pathetic......

4) Bellingham: Mostly in the summers though. Although its close to Baker and tons of fresh pow, the winters seem to get me bummed sometimes!

5) Somewhere in the Rockies: Dunno which town I'd choose, but I would love to do more stuff in the Rockies.

6) Some extremely small and lazy spot near the equator with tons of sexy blue water, surf boards, naked women, jumping dolphins, lots of fresh munchies. I do like sun afterall........

Seattle (my home and paradise!) More climbers per capita than any other city in North America

Squamish, BC (although smith has better rock climbing, cool mts. are up in the squamish area!).

Jens... curious what makes you say that Seattle has more climbers per-capita than any other North American city?

(and how Smith>Squish)

6) Some extremely small and lazy spot near the equator with tons of sexy blue water, surf boards, naked women, jumping dolphins, lots of fresh munchies. I do like sun afterall........

I know of a place like that. I ain't telling.

If we are talking US "towns", then my choices are:

(1) North Conway, NH- good resturants, good pubs, great climbing, ok skiing and excellent moutain biking. Everything is in walking and biking distance.

(2) Moab, UT- Excellent climbing and mountain biking. Alright resurants, pretty cool people, good pubs (shit ass weak beer). Laid back.

(3) Fayetteville, WV- Excellent climbing, moutain biking and paddling. Good pubs, cool laid back southern scene. I would miss winter.

(4) Twisp, WA- Looks like a great place too. Our course again the climbing and mountain biking. Through in some great bc skiing. Maybe a little to sleepy for my taste.

(5)Idywild, CA- Beautiful weather great climbing, good mountain biking, ok pubs. Close to J-Tree. Little too small for my taste.

If we were including Canada, then Canmore would probable be my number one choice.

If we are including cities then there is one choice, SEATTLE.

I know of a place like that. I ain't telling.

Don't make me kick your ass. Cough it up jackass! :battlecage:

Seattle (my home and paradise!) More climbers per capita than any other city in North America

he's talking out his ass as usual.

& counting shorts-over-polypro wearing mounties as climbers :battlecage:

Jens... curious what makes you say that Seattle has more climbers per-capita than any other North American city?

(and how Smith>Squish)

Cle Elum is pretty cool. Better weather, no hideous fucking traffic, close to tons of climbing. Just a little over an hour to Seattle for some great culture. Less yuppie rat race B.S., etc.

Spokane is nice, especially the South Hill. Lots of cragging minutes from downtown, not an hour or 2. Good culture. Centrally located to lots of climbing stuff.

One thing to consider is that while some of the smaller towns are quite nice and close to great climbing, it can be actually harder to hook up with partners. People from such places often rely on a small cadre of partners.

In a big place like Seattle, even though it's a bit of a drive to the rock, you can almost always find a like-minded partner for whatever it is strikes your fancy.

One thing to consider is that while some of the smaller towns are quite nice and close to great climbing, it can be actually harder to hook up with partners. People from such places often rely on a small cadre of partners.

In a big place like Seattle, even though it's a bit of a drive to the rock, you can almost always find a like-minded partner for whatever it is strikes your fancy.

Chew dat.

Hey catbirdseat! Fancy some rat hunting?

...Ashford- This place is gonna boom someday! Love the Highlander bar!

--------

Climber towns that are Nos for me personally:

North Bend-to much rain! double the amount of annual precip of Seattle. 100+ inches some years.

I really have to laugh at this! Being a local Ashfordian... if you no likey da rain, you best not come!! :) Ashford is the shiznit in the summer... but oooh... the winter, she is painful! i'm planning my move to points sunnier in the near future!

Edited by Duchess

We get it Duchess, Ashford is rainy. But North Bend is Ashford WITHOUT Mt. Rainier. I think Jens has a pretty good list, though Kenford has an OK idea of places a little more spread out and MCash is right on the money about thinking one might find a good setup in Ellensburg and have access to Seattle amenities without paying the price of admission. i could live across the street from JB and we could argue politics just for fun.

But hey: as long as we're dreaming, what about the south of France? C'mon, guys. You could live a few hours from Verdon and Chamonix, and have a winery in your back yard, a ***** chef down the street, good weather, and public medicine. Oh, that's right: they hate freedom.

Back to the U.S. again, I'd have to say WA, OR and CA are all there is. Utah and Colorad are for vacations, not residence. I've lived and worked in MA, FL, MI, CO, NM, UT, CA, OR, and WA, and the west coast is for sure where I wanna stay. Except maybe France... and lately I've been wondering if Thailand might not be bad.