[TR] Graybeard - North Face 5/6/2007

wayne

Trip: Graybeard - North Face

Date: 5/6/2007

Trip Report:

Wild climb! It is also in great shape right now, though watch out for slides down the gullies. We got clocked numerous time by moderate ones. Also do it while there is a 15 foot tunnel bored through the summit cornice! A bit of a sand bag by the select book saying: snow and ice to 65 degrees. I am no inclineologist but seemed vert for a couple of steps. It is about as much fun as you can have in a day from Seattle or Portland in the case of my partner , Mike Layton.

Gear Notes:

Screws, pickets, some rock gear,pins

Approach Notes:

Not bad for postholing except on the way down. We took part of the Colin way out, Left and swam down the deeps

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We were skinning up enroute to the Mesahchie traverse Sunday morning when we heard voices up on Graybeard. A couple in our party saw you guys, but I couldn't make out where you were. It felt warm and looked loaded. Congrats on squeaking by! I'd love to go back and finish the upper section of Graybeard in the right conditions.

I'd like to stress that this climb is a lot harder than you think after reading the guidebook, and would be really hard to bail off past the middle step. Bring some rock gear (1-2blades/4 cams), we used it, as the guidebook doesn't recommend it. We used 4 screws total. Pickets are your friend, bring at least 4. The log crossing is now a bridge so if you can't find it... Also, don't bring snowshoes or skiis. The hike in is short (1.5hours) and if you're postholing, just imagine how shitty the climb's gonna be.

Conditions for this face need to be perfect. It is the main dump for the ENTIRE face. Wayne and I got fucking pounded by "spindrift" that poured onto us like a fire hose at times. I would highly recommend doing this route mostly in the dark, and on an overcast day.

The descent around the opposite way Nelson reccomends is probably quickey, but a bit tricky. Traverse high as possible as a general rule. We encountered loaded slopes and some steep "fuck" snow that was up to our waist on steep slopes above nasty cliffs. If snow conditions were better on the "hike" out (we were soling 5.4 rock) it would go very quickly.

Wayne and Mike,

I have a couple digital pictures of the face around 10:00 am that morning which after magnification show you guys as specks about 1/3rd the way up. I'd be happy to post or send them to you, but I'm afraid my computer technology is from the caveman era (Windows '98).