What other activities?

drater

besides climbing (assuming that some of you actually climb and not just on the intardnet)do you sprayers engage in. Mostly referring to sports and hobbies, but feel free to share whatever.

(Dru, we don't need to hear the details of your pig farm escapades, kthnx)

Depending on the season, most of my stoke is derived from:

BackCountrySnowboarding (yay selkirks)

FrontCountrySnowboarding (yay Schweitzer)

Kiteboarding (yay LPO/Gorge)

Vertical Gardening (yay new bolders)

Wakeboarding (yay beers and betties)

Trying to get into better shape (yay puking)

Work and Family Obligations seem to rank higher on the priority scale these days tho.

You?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fly Fishing (currents are a good workout)

Yoga (woohoo bendy girl)

Weighlifting (but I been slacking this year)

Triathlons (helps motivate me to work out--gives me a goal)

Skiing & Boarding (Cuz they're fun)

I'm too tired to do much of anything else these days. But sports are such a fun way to spend time with friends or take some time to oneself!

What a cool thread.....

I play guitar in a heavy metal band.

I also play acoustic folk music with the same singer.

I also play classical guitar and am currently talking flamenco lessons.

I recently became a dad and that takes up all my spare time.

Watching my son grow from day to day is the best.

Also like my good friend Dechristo...I have taken up gardening, I have a huge back yard that I cannot possible keep up on....but we try.

Edited by kevbone

Trailrunning(my first love)

Biking(zoom zoom!)

Swimming (to recover from biking and running ;) )

Yoga (see above)

Weightlifting (because I'm an overachiever)

Tai Chi and Qi Gong(gettin' my zen groove on)

Anything creative(painting, cooking, woodworking, designing, writing, playing classical guitar...)

I love creating beauty, whether it's through physical movement(sports, etc), visual awareness(art and nature) or internal training(energy and thoughts). Climbing is perfect because it incorporates each of these elements in some way. And it's fun. :grin:

(Hey Arch, that's cool about your doing triathalons! Maybe I'll do one with you someday. Still got a lot of work to do on my swimming, though...it's hard. :cry: )

I wish there were a public swimming pool of decent size (25 yd or m) that I could workout in. I'm somewhat dubious of my enjoying it, though, because I felt as a trained rat for years in my youth spending every night of the week swimming laps and sprints on an AAU competitive swim team. On the other hand, I recall, through it, getting into the zone for the first time in my young life and believe I could easily slip into that beneficial state of mind through the activity once again.

I wish there were a public swimming pool of decent size (25 yd or m) that I could workout in.... I recall, through it, getting into the zone for the first time in my young life and believe I could easily slip into that beneficial state of mind through the activity once again.

What, there's a ZONE in swimming?! Ver duz vone vind dis zone?

:confused:

Yes, our community is fortunate to have a decent aquatic facility(Sequim's a retirement mecca, so that probably helps support it. LOTS of sr. folks in there doing physical therapy, etc.)

Hard to find the "zone" when you're dodging floaties though. :sick:

(Hey Arch, that's cool about your doing triathalons! Maybe I'll do one with you someday. Still got a lot of work to do on my swimming, though...it's hard. :cry: )

Working out together would be fun--there are lots of pools around here. I was once a pretty serious swimmer--was going to pay my way through college til I got into a car accident. But it is still my strong suit and the only reason I can complete a tri. I pass everyone in the water, then they all pass me at the running part. I am usually crawling for both those events though...

Skiing both at ski areas and backcountry.

Climbing trees. I've done this for work for a long time. It sounds just like rock climbing, but it's different if you want to do it in good form. It's fine to spike up a tree if your goal is to kill the tree. If you just want to summit then you need different tactics in the same way rock climbers look down on over bolting.

Watching sports. I'm no diehard fan, but going to see a major league game can be a good time.

Reading.

Working out together would be fun--there are lots of pools around here. I was once a pretty serious swimmer--was going to pay my way through college til I got into a car accident. But it is still my strong suit and the only reason I can complete a tri. I pass everyone in the water, then they all pass me at the running part. I am usually crawling for both those events though...

Hats off to you. :tup: Anytime I see a strong swimmer go by, I'm in awe. Some people can make it look so natural and graceful. I bet you do kickturns, too? Someday....*sigh*

I say this without bragging: I am a good swimmer. I was just born with the ability I guess and just got absorbed by it. I won state and competed on the Junior Olympic team within two years of starting to seriously compete. I don't know why it's like that--especially b/c I have a really slow kick.

And then I try to run and I look like a fucking penguin. It is embarrassing.