Infinite Bliss

kevbone

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where will this visual assault on the purity of Mother Nature end? Shall we spray paint the Grand Canyon safety orange? Turn Crater Lake into a laser lit computer controlled fountain? St. Helens into a NASCAR track?

And the lichens? What of the lichens that have been lost to the unsatiated appetite of the drill?

And how dare any of you accuse deeply concerned environmental advocates such as myself, who have spent so much valuable time trying to reverse the destructive tide of bolts, of a neurotic, masturbatory effort to satisfy my need to force other climbers to conform to my obviously superior ethics? How many of you walk the path of purity from your grass hut to the trailhead, as I do, stepping gently to avoid crushing any mites or redwood seedlings that may cross my path? How many of you have lovingly carried small baggies filled with soil and lichen to fill the bolt, no BULLET holes, so heartlessly punched into Mother Nature's temples of rock?

My, my, clipping bolts really does help you develop a delicate sensibility. Via ferratas, MLUs, and access restrictions come right along in the wake of disasters like IB and your righteous indignation at the mere suggestion you don't have a god-given entitlement to risk-free climbing. Have to wonder how many of you would be climbers tomorrow if bolts evaporated tonight. Not many I suspect.

via.1.450.jpg

The via ferrata climbs above Ogden - three abrupt lines built last fall under the management of Jeff Lowe, a world renowned climber - are part of Waterfall Canyon Climbing Park, a private preserve owned by Chris Peterson, a businessman in the area. They are the nation's newest via ferrata routes.

linky

It doesn't seem to be folks like the IB first ascensionists who are putting up Via Ferrata in the US, but rather old school folk like Jeff Lowe and Ron Olevsky. Joe, perhaps you'll want to give them a stern talking to at Sushifest.

Off, no problem on that front. I've read about Jeff's motivation relative to their creation - I simply disagree with him and others doing so and have no problem saying it to theirs or anyone else's face. That the via ferrata drive in the U.S. is taking place on private land makes perfect sense as will the drive to establish via ferratas in the Valley, Smith, Eldo, Devils Tower and other areas on public land.

That drive will arrive in the exact same logic Kevin is using for IB - that to not allow via ferratas on [public] crags is an act of denying people their right [and entitlement] to climb. Kevin wants to climb IB on bolts - someone else is going to want to climb the Nose on a cable. He has no right to dictate how they climb and the question they'll pose is: exactly how does a via ferrata harm anyone? There is no difference whatsoever. And if you think one doesn't lead to the other; or that via ferratas aren't the logical, if not inevitable, extension of gyms and [commercialized] sport climbing, then you're all more naive and tripping harder than I thought.

When that day comes, just remember it's a bigger world than your ancient, backwards, and elitist sport climbing era - if you don't want to step on that rung or clip that cable then don't. And don't bitch about imaginary problems of via ferrata installations "harming" the rock because they don't and the rest of your complaints will just be "ideas" without substance. And, hell, who's going to care what a few of you whining old losers think anyway.