Index Town Walls Volunteer Day

DCramer

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Count me in.

Dont know if you have more bods than projects or the other way 'round but the culvert at parking entry could use some hand-work so it doesn't overflow across the road all the time.

I've also been tempted for some time now to hump a saw (and gas, and oil, and wedges...sheesh!) up the main wall trail & do blowdown patrol.

Just a reminder that the Index volunteer day is just a little over a week away.

The majority of the Index crags are managed by Washington State Parks and due to the relatively undeveloped nature of the area it is easy to underestimate how much managing actually occurs. The Parks Department is a supporter of climbing at the Town Walls and has been working with several ongoing concerns including but not limited to rail road crossing issues, Upper Wall trundling and ORV activity . Toilet facilities are looking like a not too distant possibility. The volunteer day is an opportunity for climbers to show their appreciation to State Parks and demonstrate how much we value the park.

WCC Link

It's kinda loose Oly. My suggestions would be:

• Walk trails (Lower Lump, Inner Walls, Upper Wall and Lookout Point)and make repairs as needed.
  • Blackberry abatement
  • Trash patrols (even on the river side where people squat/camp)

Bringing along some snips, loping sears and a hand saw would be useful. Parks has some hand tools for trail repair.

OK, I will try this thing: Folks who come up and volunteer are welcome to come for beer/food/fire afterward in the shadow of the mighty Town Wall if they're so inclined...

I have:

Plenty of outside space

A firepit and lots of wood

A grill & lots of charcoal

I will have some beer and grillable food to offer but people should probably bring some of each.

All bets are off if it's nasty; my house is pretty little.