What to do with an old bag

archenemy

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But it takes oil to log, pulp, fab, and transport the (heavier, bulkier)paper bag.

Intewestene.

We make choices, and I am more concerned with the longer afterlife of plastic bags. Ever notice how you see them on the side of the road blowing around? I hate that. I also hate how many times I see one shoe on the side of the highway. How does that happen?

According to this analysis, plastic is more environmentally friendly and fossil fuel efficient than paper, particularly if plastic recycle rates continue to go up (they currently lag behind paper recycling rates). This is what I would have suspected, considering how much less material goes into a plastic bag verses a paper one.

Paper verses plastic

Take your own reusable bags, of course, is the real message here.

I love how all you "enviromentally friendly" people are dumb as a rock. People should take some P Chem before they get their Tree Hugger Card.

Recyclable plastic bags, which I find in every grocery store here, require less energy to make, less energy to transport, and less energy to recycle. Ignorance is bliss!

The type of legislation under consideration in San Francisco represents the worst form of government policy; specifying the end solution rather than codifying the goal. The goal is less energy usage. The legislation will probably produce the opposite. It reminds of that stupid fucking monorail initiative.

A much better approach would be a public information campaign to get people to use durable, reusable grocery bags; the only real solution to the problem. A similar program worked in Seattle very well (even before the 'no paper in your garbage' ordnances).

I see a market for extremely light, ripstop grocery bags that fit into a purse or small satchel. After all, people frequently go shopping on their way home from work. It's no wonder the Hippy Hemp grocery bags don't have much a following beyond the PCC crowd; they don't stuff down.

Plastic grocery bags are photo-degradeable. The UV in sunlight will break them down in a year or two. If you put them in a landfill, they will probably last forever.

FYI - Most residential recycling programs accept plastic bags as long as they are bagged up.

Another FYI - typical grocery pags are made of Polyethylene, the same stuff that your skinny slings are made of. The sling material has been molecularly manipulated, but it's essentially the same material.

CBS will post in 3...2...1...