• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
bivchad

[TR] Dragontail Peak - Variation of Triple Couloir

Trip: Dragontail Peak - Variation of Triple Couloirs

Date: 3/18/2007

Trip Report:

Here's a link for anyone wondering about Dragontail.......obviously until it warms a little, there won't be any real ice.....we slept up top w/o sleeping bags......coldest night of my life! We climbed a couple pitches towards the second before it got too time consuming (ice-glazed rock) for me, hence the rappel pic, so went this route that we saw from the lake. Fun but not as hard as it looks.

http://picasaweb.google.com/ChadBeeman/TripleCouloirsDragontailPeak

Gear Notes:

mostly rock...couple cams, bugaboos, nuts

Approach Notes:

Road closed, snowshoes helpful

Edited by bivouacjack

How about some description? Drew a line on Dragontail's photo which way U went! Otherwise we do not know where? what? when?

My husband and I climbed Dragontail via Serpentine arête a couple of years ago. It was in the summer. No ice. Thanks for sharing.

Were the upper couloirs out of shape, forcing you onto a bad-ass line, or did you take the bad-ass line by choice?

Either way: bad-ass line, and great pics.

Speaking of Dragontail, anyone have beta on the Cotter-Bebie route described in Washington Ice? I believe it finishes up the corner/groove to the right of this variation...

I believe it finishes up the corner/groove to the right of this variation...

There is nothing further right, except Backbone ridge and the Fin itself.

Rockstar leading in tough conditions Chad!

The snow was mostly solid, some sections with grapuel under firm tops -- in shape for climbing but you were glad when you hit the plastic stuff.

I believe it finishes up the corner/groove to the right of this variation...

There is nothing further right, except Backbone ridge and the Fin itself.

Let me rephrase: where, in reference to the marked route in BJ's picture, does the Cotter-Bebie route ascend the higher part of the face?

I thought the Cotter route was between backbone & serpentine, finishing up the huge LF corner on the right edge of the fin.

marek, look at all the pics, there is one on the way they chose

Man! I see it now, you really have to look for that faint yellow line. Yup! Bad Ass line!

I climbed it exactly that way once. We went that way when we came up and found zero ice in the runnel section that would lead to the second couloir.

I climbed it exactly that way once. We went that way when we came up and found zero ice in the runnel section that would lead to the second couloir.

Same here in February 2000. I came back a few years later in April and we found the crux ice couloirs well iced. The route we did the first time was significantly more difficult than the standard route.