Best Concentration of Routes in Washington?

scottgg

What area has the best concentration of winter/spring routes in Washington? That is, if you had a few days to rack up as many high quality routes as weather/conditions/fitness allowed, where would you go? I'm saying Alpental Valley in the winter, and the Colchuck Basin in the early spring. Sure, there are much better routes in other areas, but the plethora of good routes in these two cirques get my vote. What say you?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What area has the best concentration of winter/spring routes in Washington? That is, if you had a few days to rack up as many high quality routes as weather/conditions/fitness allowed, where would you go? I'm saying Alpental Valley in the winter, and the Colchuck Basin in the summer. Sure, there are much better routes in other areas, but the plethora of good routes in these two cirques get my vote. What say you?

Are you talking about rock climbing?

What is up with your focus on having fun? Is that ALL climbing has to offer you? How boring. Why not just sit around playing video games? Climbing wouldn't be any different than anything else if it was just some "fun" little diversion.

Little Si and LTW and Washington Pass.

What is up with your focus on having fun? Is that ALL climbing has to offer you? How boring. Why not just sit around playing video games? Climbing wouldn't be any different than anything else if it was just some "fun" little diversion.

Dont engage him. He is trolling. That is his favorite saying.

Correction, that's George Lowe's favorite line. Dru is just plagerizing.

I'm talking about winter/spring routes with ice and snow and other crazy alpine stuff :eek: Those psyco Euro climbers have competitions where they see how many quality routes they can climb in x amount of time. Well, if we had a similar contest in the Cascades, where would you set up your tent such that you could climb several cool routes?

Correction, that's George Lowe's favorite line. Dru is just plagerizing.

Show some respect for the dead. You got the wrong Lowe!

where would you set up your tent such that you could climb several cool routes?

At John Scurlock's landing strip, assuming you had a parachute and knew how to use it.

As a real answer, you suggested Alpental Basin, but while it offers a number of routes and easy access, it lacks majesty. Basecamp at the end of the snowed over Cascade River road would be better, but much scarier in anything less than settled conditions. I'd guess that valley is a good candidate for the kind of avalanches that lap up onto the opposing valley wall.

I'm talking about winter/spring routes with ice and snow and other crazy alpine stuff :eek: Those psyco Euro climbers have competitions where they see how many quality routes they can climb in x amount of time. Well, if we had a similar contest in the Cascades, where would you set up your tent such that you could climb several cool routes?

Colchuck Lake or some place around Cascade Pass wouldn't be bad if you were not counting approach time and the effort required to get your camp there, but on the other hand there are a lot of cool "roadside" climbs that you might consider where the drive time between objectives might be less than the hiking time associated with setting up your tent at Colchuck Lake or somewhere near Cascade Pass and persuing day trips from that location.

Big Four's North Face, Hall Peak, and Lake 22 headwall are all very close to each other and would make great winter objectives in the right conditions. The Alpental Valley climbs are all very short on the approach hike, and could easily be climbed one after the other or combined with a climb along the Mountain Loop Highway or something near Leavenworth in consecutive days. Shuksan is nearly a roadside objective as is Mount Baker. And while we're at it, Colonial and Drury Falls and Mt. Index are pretty impressive and don't require much of an approach hike by Cascade standards.

If you want high quality routes that are literally side by side and which are not a long distance from the car, I'd say the Liberty Bell group, N. side of Stuart, Colchuck Lake cirque, or the N. side of Shuksan and NW side of Baker would all be good choices.

Definitly somewhere in the north cascades that is a beee-otch to get to even in the summer.