Is this legal?

kevbone

I believe all of what you said. I just want the choice to give it to my family without having opt - out for religious reasons. It should be a choice, like all vaccines. I know I will get shit for saying that, but oh well....this is America.

All vaccines are not a choice - polio, chicken pox, MMR, tetanus, and others are required by most public schools (including universities). Just wait until you try to enroll your child in school - you'll learn.

Edit: Actually, I'll tell you because this means something to me.

For Seattle Public Schools, Headstart Preschool and K-12, as of fall 2007. DPT, HIB, HEP B, Polio, MMR, and Varicella.

Edited by mtnfreak

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All vaccines are not a choice - polio, chicken pox, MMR, tetanus, and others are required by most public schools (including universities). Just wait until you try to enroll your child in school - you'll learn.

Thats what I said.....I WANT them to be a choice, which they are not. This is wrong.

Edited by kevbone

for what it's worth, my sister did not vaccinate her children and they attend the lake washington school district with no trouble. She had to sign some form is all, nobody made a big deal about it.

However, my wife and I vaccinated our children, because we don't have a problem with science. :P (hey, this is in spray, what can I say?)

Edited by robmcdan

Diseases are not a personal choice. Vaccination is not something you choose, like clothing or music. It's a basic requirement for a healthy society.

People that don't get vaccinated are basically saying "Well fuck society, most of YOU are vaccinated so I'm just going to cheap it for free and hope that so many of you don't get diseases that I won't meet anyone sick." Um yeah. That's the same logic that has people running Windows boxes with no antivirus programs... those same bot-net infected zombie boxes that are sending out all the V|AGRA C|AL|S R0LEX P0RN emails.

But I heard if you don't want to vaccinate your children, you can get a TOTALLY WORK SAFE NIGERIAN BANK ACCOUNT for free!

Thats what I said.....I WANT them to be a choice, which they are not. This is wrong.

Why don't you take them to the hospital then and let them talk to people who are in serious pain and suffering because they also didn't get vaccinated and then take them to the doctor and let them have a serious talk with him/her replete with graphic photographs and let your kids make the choice about what to do with their bodies? Or do you think they'll make the 'wrong' choice?

I believe mtnfreak is incorrect that vaccines are mandatory. That said as a general rule I think not vaccinating your kids is no different than not using a seat belt. When ever I hear someone whining about vaccines I just feel sorry that the kids are cursed with such parents.

Just posting because someone thought I was serious in my earlier post.

Diseases are not a personal choice. Vaccination is not something you choose, like clothing or music. It's a basic requirement for a healthy society.

People that don't get vaccinated are basically saying "Well fuck society, most of YOU are vaccinated so I'm just going to cheap it for free and hope that so many of you don't get diseases that I won't meet anyone sick." Um yeah. That's the same logic that has people running Windows boxes with no antivirus programs... those same bot-net infected zombie boxes that are sending out all the V|AGRA C|AL|S R0LEX P0RN emails.

But I heard if you don't want to vaccinate your children, you can get a TOTALLY WORK SAFE NIGERIAN BANK ACCOUNT for free!

You watched The Hour tonight!!

Good show eh?

Human papillomavirus

Papillomaviruses are a diverse group of DNA-based viruses that infect the skin and mucous membranes of humans and a variety of animals. More than 100 different human papillomavirus (HPV) types have been characterized. Some HPV types cause benign skin warts, or papillomas, for which the virus family is named. HPVs associated with the development of such "common warts" are transmitted environmentally or by casual skin-to-skin contact.

A separate group of about 30 HPVs are typically transmitted through sexual contact. Genital HPV infection is very common, with estimates suggesting that up to 75% of women will become infected with one or more of the sexually transmitted HPV types at some point during adulthood (Baseman and Koutsky, 2005). Some sexually transmitted HPVs, such as types 6 and 11, can cause genital warts. However, most HPV types that infect the genitals tend not to cause noticeable symptoms. Persistent infection with a subset of about a dozen so-called "high-risk" sexually transmitted HPVs, including types 16, 18, 31, 33, 35, 39, 45 and 51 can lead to the development of cervical dyskaryosis, which may in turn lead to cancer of the cervix. HPV infection is a necessary factor in the development of nearly all cases of cervical cancer (Walboomers 1999)

Graph showing HPV-induced cancers

Cervical Pap smear testing is used to detect HPV-induced cellular abnormalities. This allows targeted surgical removal of pre-cancerous lesions prior to the development of invasive cervical cancer. In the absence of Pap testing or treatment, about 1% of women with genital HPV infections will eventually go on to develop cervical cancer. Although the widespread use of Pap testing has reduced the incidence and lethality of cervical cancer in developed countries, the disease still kills several hundred thousand women per year worldwide. A recently approved HPV vaccine that blocks initial infection with several of the most common sexually transmitted HPV types may lead to further decreases in the incidence of HPV-induced cancer (Lowy and Schiller 2006).

About a dozen HPV types (including types 16, 18, 31 and 45) are called "high-risk" types because they can cause cervical cancer, as well as anal cancer, vulvar cancer, head and neck cancers, and penile cancer (Parkin 2006). HPV-induced cancers often have viral sequences integrated into the cellular DNA. Some of the HPV "early" genes, such as E6 and E7, are known to act as oncogenes that promote tumor growth and malignant transformation.

The virus that causes genital warts is spread by skin-skin contact. Condoms do not adequately protect against genital warts, because the infected spot may not be covered by a condom. The only reliable prevention is to have no skin contact with potentially infected tissue.

Gardasil, an HPV vaccine, is nearly 100% effective against the most common types has been approved by the Food and Drug Administration.[3] The license allows prescription to females between the ages of 9-26. Results indicate that the vaccine is only effective if given prior to infection. This vaccine should be preferably administered before a girl becomes sexually active. This vaccine is currently being tested for males.

You watched The Hour tonight!!

Good show eh?

I don't have a TV. The only thing I watched was cc.com.

I suppose I won’t be able to convince any of you NON BELIEVERS of anything. So I am not going to try. Believe what you will……I just think it should be the choice of the parents/child if old enough. You should not have to lie and opt out for religious reasons. A simple NO should be suffice.

Question: If you never have sex or have contact with “boys” as a young or older woman, what are you chances of getting this STD?

If there is no exposure to this STD, then I believe it would be folly to give a child a little part of the STD to gain its immunity.

I suppose I won’t be able to convince any of you NON BELIEVERS of anything. So I am not going to try. Believe what you will……I just think it should be the choice of the parents/child if old enough. You should not have to lie and opt out for religious reasons. A simple NO should be suffice.

Question: If you never have sex or have contact with “boys” as a young or older woman, what are you chances of getting this STD?

If there is no exposure to this STD, then I believe it would be folly to give a child a little part of the STD to gain its immunity.

So, from your tone do I properly surmise that you think your kids will not be having sex outside of marriage? Therefore won't be at risk? You must be a very effective teacher! Are you planning to live on a deserted island or something? Good luck! :wave:

Do you know exactly how your child will behave. Let me answer that for you....you absolutely do not know. The vacine won't do them any harm even when they do live up to your ideals.

Plus like Decristo said above what if they get raped by somebody who is spreading the disease. Don't you want them to be protected. Another analogy is you probably have health insurance. In an ideal world you'll never have to use it, but it foolish to do without some back up.

Edited by AlpineK

I know a woman who chose not to have sex until marriage (these people to exist, they actually walk amongst you). This person is not at risk.

Real proud of ya, there, sparky. But if on that basis you expect your kids will be the same, you just better go buy a couple of chastity belts.

Why force her to take this drug?

If there is a pandemic of some sort, those infected will likely be forcibly removed from society by the government (i.e. quarantined) for the common benefit of all. It sounds draconian but would you be opposed to this measure?

But once again- no one is FORCED to take it. The real issue should be, why wouldn't you want your kids to have it? The "my kids (or other chaste people) won't be/aren't at risk excuse isn't holding water, because it's wishful thinking and naive, and at best, far less than a certainty.