Are the architects of the War on Terror in trouble

mattp

When we ally ourselves with one faction, because they will help us oust another faction, we often seem to end up wed to a government or opposition movement that doesnt' share our goals. It may well be very difficult to prevent small cell groups from hiding in the hills and building a network, but we chose sides rather than targetting the terrorists in the first place and now it would not be surprising if the current Afghani government may be less than effective or fully motivated to go after the terror network on their Pakistan frontier.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn pippetors. I'm looking forward to reading what you have to say. Between us, I bet we can solve this thing. (And, by the way, my own response time may be a bit slow for the next several days.)

This essay might warrant a read in the meantime. Not entirely on topic, but still germane.

http://www.city-journal.org/html/14_2_when_islam.html

US Says British Iraq Withdrawal Sign of Success

U.S. officials are describing Britain's announcement that it will withdraw 1,600 of its troops from Iraq as a sign of the type of success in the southern part of the country that they want to see in the Baghdad area. VOA's Al Pessin reports from the Pentagon.

During a domestic trip with President Bush, White House Spokesman Tony Snow said British forces in southern Iraq have made good progress in moving Iraqi troops into leading roles. He said that is the kind of progress President Bush would like to see in the rest of the country.

i couldn't make this shit up if i tried

DAT'S A LOTTA SPIN!

US Says British Iraq Withdrawal Sign of Success

U.S. officials are describing Britain's announcement that it will withdraw 1,600 of its troops from Iraq as a sign of the type of success in the southern part of the country that they want to see in the Baghdad area. VOA's Al Pessin reports from the Pentagon.

During a domestic trip with President Bush, White House Spokesman Tony Snow said British forces in southern Iraq have made good progress in moving Iraqi troops into leading roles. He said that is the kind of progress President Bush would like to see in the rest of the country.

i couldn't make this shit up if i tried

DAT'S A LOTTA SPIN!

Uh, maybe this is a dumb question, but if the British pulled off this kind of 'success' with 1,600 troops in a major city like Basra, why haven't we been able to duplicate this success with 130,000?

There are some who argue that WAS their goal. Instability would justify long term military presence and the really wanted that new fort right in the southern Iraq oil fields that nobody is talking much about, and taking the Iraqi oil off the market be contributing to record high oil profits, while they are saving the Iraqi oil for a rainy day. Meanwhile, Congress and the American public are so preoccupied with the mess in Iraq that they've managed to build popular support for all kinds of consolidated power in the President's lap, they've gutted all kinds of environmental laws, and they continue to pursue tax reform for the wealthy -- all the kinds of things that help fill the bank accounts of their main supporters.

I am generally suspicious of conspiracy theories, but it is undeniable that a lot of money is being made by Halliburton and the oil companies and Bush is not really getting much criticism for acting like king.

On a related note: check this out Seymour Hersch reports Bush secretly funding terrorists with Al Queda connetions

Damn pippetors. I'm looking forward to reading what you have to say. Between us, I bet we can solve this thing. (And, by the way, my own response time may be a bit slow for the next several days.)

This essay might warrant a read in the meantime. Not entirely on topic, but still germane.

http://www.city-journal.org/html/14_2_when_islam.html

Thanks for the link to the slimy City Journal, mouthpiece for the Manhattan Institute, a bankrupt group of social-Darwinians posing as intellectual movers and shakers. You may remember them for giving the world "Giuliani Time". Now they regale us with essays with words like "Mexifornia" and titles like "Don’t Knock Down New Orleans’s Projects, Just sell them off to middle-class homeowners" and "Why Cops Stop and Frisk So Many Blacks | Blame high black crime, not police racism". Fucking hilarious! Thanks for the laughs Jay!