Things I am Thankful For...

JayB

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow-- I'm stunned. So many fucked up things about this thread.

1) the reminder of the underpinnings of christianity and the role of women. i guess i shouldn't need a reminder but i forget how appalling the bible is and grossly edited it has become over time.

2) more on the radar and more apalling than #1, the perverse value placed on virginity, family honor, and men's egos in some muslim countries

3)kevbone (btw- every lesbian in the country is pleased that you will not be having a sex change and don't want to be a woman)

3)kevbone (btw- every lesbian in the country is pleased that you will not be having a sex change and don't want to be a woman)

Minx...my main reason for being pleased I am not a woman primarily falls into the fact that I am a wimp. After watching my child be born, I realize the strength of a woman is so far beyond me. I am thankful I will never have to do that. You rock for doing it! :tup:

I'm glad I'm not a gay member of an evangelical christian sect. link

Check out the list of bands to avoid.

I had no idea Motorhead and Metallica were homo bands. :lmao::crosseye:

I feel so unclean now.

At least Cyndi Lauper is on the "safe" list.

What's funny is that one of her biggest hits, "She Bop" is actually about masturbation, which I'm sure is a pretty Christian no-no.

I just bought the new Danielson record, so I'm Clean.

I feel so unclean now.

What's funny is that one of her biggest hits, "She Bop" is actually about masturbation, which I'm sure is a pretty Christian no-no.

i wonder how The String Cheese Incident got on that list.

also quotes oscar wilde as a "reformed homosexual" in spite of the fact that he remained openly gay until the end of his life.

:lmao:

I feel so unclean now.

i wonder how The String Cheese Incident got on that list.

also quotes oscar wilde as a "reformed homosexual" in spite of the fact that he remained openly gay until the end of his life.

:lmao:

Wow-- I'm stunned. So many fucked up things about this thread.

1) the reminder of the underpinnings of christianity and the role of women. i guess i shouldn't need a reminder but i forget how appalling the bible is and grossly edited it has become over time.

2) more on the radar and more apalling than #1, the perverse value placed on virginity, family honor, and men's egos in some muslim countries

4) Trolls

#2) Der Spiegel. "Hooray! We're Capitulating."

http://www.spiegel.de/international/spiegel/0,1518,462149,00.html

"The controversy over the 12 Muhammad cartoons that were published in the Danish newspaper Jyllands-Posten in September 2005 and led to worldwide protests and unrest among Muslims was merely a taste of what is to come, a dress rehearsal for the kinds of disputes Europe can expect to face in the future if it does not rethink its current policy of appeasement. As was the case in the 1930s, when Czechoslovakia was sacrificed in the interest of peace under the Munich Agreement -- a move that ultimately did nothing to prevent World War II -- Europeans today also believe that an adversary, seemingly invincible due to a preference for death over life, can be mollified by good behavior, concessions and submission. All the Europeans can hope to gain in this asymmetric conflict is a temporary reprieve, a honeymoon period that could last 10, 20, or maybe even 50 years. Anyone on death row breathes a sigh of relief when his execution is postponed to some indefinite time in the future.

The uproar over the Muhammad cartoons was symptomatic precisely because what triggered it was so insignificant. The drawings themselves were unbelievably harmless.

Freedom of expression in conformity with Shariah

It took two weeks for "spontaneous" protests to begin. On Oct. 14, 2005, 3,000 Muslims staged a demonstration on Copenhagen's town hall square after Friday prayers. In a letter to Danish Prime Minister Anders Fogh Rasmussen, ambassadors from 11 Islamic countries demanded that he take the "necessary steps" to avert an abuse of Islam. Rasmussen responded that it was not his responsibility to discipline journalists, and he refused to schedule a meeting with the irate ambassadors. The Egyptian foreign minister got the Arab League and the Organization of the Islamic Conference (OIC) involved soon after. The OIC had already made clear what it wanted in its "Declaration of Human Rights in Islam" in 1990: "All have the right to freely express their opinions in a manner that does not run counter to Shariah law." In essence, what the OIC wanted was to compel Western nations to bring their form of freedom of expression into conformity with Shariah law.

Then a delegation of Danish Muslims traveled to the Muslim world, carrying a folder with the 12 cartoons from Jyllands-Posten, as well as of three significantly more provocative drawings in their luggage. The three drawings portrayed the Prophet as a pedophile devil, with pigs' ears and having sex with a dog. Where the bonus material came from and how it found its way into the documentation remains unclear to this day. But clearly someone was interested in generating the appropriate reaction. Newspapers in Arab countries promptly wrote that the Danish media had portrayed Muhammad as a pig, the original 12 cartoons magically turned into 120 drawings, and the Danish government was accused of being behind the whole thing.

The West has values worth defending. Doesn't it?

European Union foreign ministers met in Brussels on Jan. 30, 2006 to discuss the crisis. Some believed that Denmark had missed its chance to resolve the conflict on its own. The foreign minister of Luxembourg wasn't just speaking for his own country when he said that the entire affair was "more a Danish than a European problem." The Austrian foreign minister went even further when she said: "statements and actions that degrade a religion in an offensive way should be clearly condemned." Even the Americans abandoned their Danish allies. During the course of a single day, three State Department spokesmen used adjectives like "unacceptable," "offensive" and "objectionable." Muslims got the message.

A year ago on Feb. 3, 2006, a "Day of Anger" was proclaimed. Across the Muslim world, the Muhammad cartoons were the focus of Friday prayers. Millions of Muslims who couldn't even locate Denmark on a map demonstrated against these insults to the Prophet, incited by their imams. The embassies of Denmark and Norway were set on fire in Damascus, the Danish embassy was torched in Beirut, firebombs were hurled at the Danish consulate in Tehran, and Danish and Norwegian flags were burned in Nigeria and Algeria.

In the past, an attack on an embassy would have been reason enough to go to war. But this time the affected countries did their utmost to "de-escalate." The victims were repentant and begged the perpetrators for forgiveness. Indeed, the West was intent on not doing anything that could possibly give offense and cause these fanatical Muslims to become even angrier.

Objectively speaking, the cartoon controversy was a tempest in a teacup. But subjectively it was a show of strength and, in the context of the "clash of civilizations," a dress rehearsal for the real thing. The Muslims demonstrated how quickly and effectively they can mobilize the masses, and the free West showed that it has nothing to counter the offensive -- nothing but fear, cowardice and an overriding concern about the balance of trade. Now the Islamists know that they are dealing with a paper tiger whose roar is nothing but a tape recording.

Click on a picture to launch the image gallery (10 Photos)

As different as the West's reactions to the Muslim protests were, what they had in common were origins in feelings of powerlessness and helplessness. Critical souls who only yesterday agreed with Marx that religion is the opium of the masses suddenly insisted that religious sensibilities must be taken into account, especially when accompanied by violence. The representatives of open societies reacted like the inhabitants of an island about to be hit by a hurricane. Powerless against the forces of nature, they stocked up on supplies, nailed doors and windows shut and hoped that the storm would soon pass. Of course, whereas such a reaction may be an appropriate response to natural disasters, such a lack of resistance merely encourages fundamentalists. It completely justifies their view of the West as weak, decadent and completely unwilling to defend itself."

Etc, etc, etc.

Things I am thankful for?

My health!

My family!

My son!

Good music!

Sunny days for climbing!

Solid belay partners!

Good friends!

Time off work!

No credit card debt!

My guitars!

All the wonderful folks on Cascade Climbers.com who I adore!

and exclamation points!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by tvashtarkatena

I learned a lot from the Lovegod Sway website.

For one, there's finally a place where budding, repressed homosexuals can gather in an intimate setting with someone whose been there, done that and more named Donnie D and...talk about it. A place where a sympathetic hand or loving, supporting embrace is only a moment away. A place of tension, struggle, and joyful release. For Jesus.

I also learned that there is a band called 'The Indigo Girls' and one called simply 'Indigo Girls', and that they're both gay.

Suicide is gay. That was a revelation.

Frank Sinatra is also gay. That got me wondering about Dean Martin. Not Sammy, though. He'd fuck anything.

The real surprise was Ted Nugent, but I guess it shouldn't have been. He put up quite a front with his killing-elk-to-keep-his-family-in-meat-with-a-machine-gun-guitar and moving-to-Texas-where-it's-OK-to-wear-chamo-when-you-play-at-the-governor's-fundraiser thing. Maybe too good a front. I suppose his might be a new kind of gay...Aggro Gay or something. I always thought 'Cat Scratch Fever' was about catching the clap, but with this new information I'm now convinced it was really about the musical 'Cats'. Enough said there.

I wonder if Reverend Ted is taking advantage of Donnie D's services? I think Ted could be an excellent Christian influence on these impressionable, confused young people at a time when their sexuality is just starting to flower.