Limit freedom of creative expression?

archenemy

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One important distinction that seems to be missing from most of the commentary that accompanies these episodes is that Islam is a system of beliefs that one voluntarily adheres to, not a racial category that one is confined to. Once anyone is old enough to think for themselves, remaining a Muslim is a matter of choice, not an accident of one's birth.

I am not terribly surprised that CAIR and others have adopted the tactic of attempting to exempt their beliefs from debate and scrutiny by claiming that any criticism or suspicion of Muslims is analogous to racial persecution. What does surprise me is how well this strategy has worked for them. They've largely succeeded in transmogrifying a debate about an ideology into a parable of racial victimhood.

One important distinction that seems to be missing from most of the commentary that accompanies these episodes is that Islam is a system of beliefs that one voluntarily adheres to, not a racial category that one is confined to. Once anyone is old enough to think for themselves, remaining a Muslim is a matter of choice, not an accident of one's birth.

I am not terribly surprised that CAIR and others have adopted the tactic of attempting to exempt their beliefs from debate and scrutiny by claiming that any criticism or suspicion of Muslims is analogous to racial persecution. What does surprise me is how well this strategy has worked for them. They've largely succeeded in transmogrifying a debate about an ideology into a parable of racial victimhood.

Well said.

Well said.

I concur.

what muslim beliefs are you referring to, when you talk about muslims and their choices regarding their muslim cultural and religious identity? what beliefs should they discard?

it doesn't seem to me that they are saying any criticism or suspicion is analogous to racial persecution. we are talking about a specific tv show with specific depictions with a specific set of inclusions and omissions, right?

so that would be two questions.

come up with a word to describe people that want to kill you other than "muslim" and everyone will be happy.

Word: "Christian"

That's funny, it's the atheists who've got the highest body count in human history. :fahq:

That's the most moronic statement you've ever made, which is really saying something. Stalin's body count (and we all know who you're talking about, because every one of your arguments somehow manages to wind its way back to The Boss)had little to do with his atheism and a lot to do with the same kind of hard core ideologies that you, until very recently, so admired in our present administration.