Vehicle security while climbing

Draagun1

Was told especially North Bend area is bad for vehicle burglary while climbing / hiking.Suspect this may be true of other areas as well. Do I have to buy a pile of junk to go climbing that is so ugly no one would think of ransacking it.Want to start outdoor climbing in April,any thoughts on this or is this an exaggerated problem?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have found North Bend to be somewhat safe, have not had a break in yet. Of course I dont leave valuables in the car at all. Just be smart about it and you'll be fine. i.e. no leaving car overnight, no valuables in plain sight(your retarded if you do), park in the open not hidden(safer to get in a car thats hidden off in the back of the lot, than a car in the open), etc... All these things tend to deter the common thief, from past experiences during my teenage years, you tend to go for the easiest targets.

I had two windows on my now-defunct van broken and a cell phone stolen at the Anette Lake trailhead up I-90. This was back when there was a sign stating that the area was under video surveillance, too. This was a beater van with no valuables showing, they pulled the cell phone out from under a floor mat, so sometimes even the junkers get targeted. Maybe because they know there won't be an alarm? Seems not much you can do beyond the ordinary precaution.

The "Exit 38 Bandits" use a slim-jim to open the car, then steal or copy a credit card number and close everything up nicely. The only way you'll know you have been taken is when your credit card bill comes or if the card company calls you because of unusual spending changes.

Also, I never locked my soft-top Jeep but that didn't stop some genius from cutting through the plastic window and then bending the drame down.

So is it best to leave the vehicle un-locked to (i.e. so there is no window breakage)?

Not so sure about leaving my car unlocked.

I'm not always sure about that either...it just seems cheaper than replacing a smashed window. What about rocket-boxes on the top of cars, anybody have problems with those?

I'm moving out from the NE in a week to Issaquah and was planning to do a lot of my local climbing around N. Bend...I'm glad to have this warning as I'm used to the back of my car being the gear shed. I'm going to need a new system! Damn you northwestern thieves! :mad:

The "Exit 38 Bandits" use a slim-jim to open the car, then steal or copy a credit card number and close everything up nicely. The only way you'll know you have been taken is when your credit card bill comes or if the card company calls you because of unusual spending changes.

Also, I never locked my soft-top Jeep but that didn't stop some genius from cutting through the plastic window and then bending the drame down.

That is smart on they're part as I had my wallet stolen from gym Sat and within 2 hours before I canceled the cards they went shopping ,ate oriental and filled the gas.The exit 38 guys would have cleaned me out. Thanks for that advice.

I bought a $300 car last season and had no problems last year at trailheads. Several times when coming back to the trailhead from climbing I found others had been broken into but my pile on wheels had been left to itself.

Anyone leaving cars at trailheads along the I-90 corridor should buy a trail car. This way, I kind of feel sorry for the poor suckers who steal it.

I bought a $300 car last season and had no problems last year at trailheads. Several times when coming back to the trailhead from climbing I found others had been broken into but my pile on wheels had been left to itself.

Anyone leaving cars at trailheads along the I-90 corridor should buy a trail car. This way, I kind of feel sorry for the poor suckers who steal it.

This is my philosophy as well. The only drawback is that you usually end up climbing with someone only once and never hear back from them. The upside though, is on those long road trips, you'll never have to drive :tup: :tup:

I gots one of these bad boys:

_232777_car300.jpg

Seriously though that's ridiculous that they torched the car. I can understand if you leave a wallet on the seat and somebody breaks the window...but sheeiiittt.

I'm moving up to Squamish this month, if the district were willing to deputize me & provide a dome light I would be more than happy to conduct spot checks...plus I'd need some cool decals for the car.

This is my philosophy as well. The only drawback is that you usually end up climbing with someone only once and never hear back from them. The upside though, is on those long road trips, you'll never have to drive :tup: :tup:

What I'm getting out of this thread now is I have to buy a piece of crap to take a crap on and then have no climbing or riding partners.Guess I can't have my cake and eat it too :lmao:

There is a cheaper alternative to buying another vehicle. If your car doesn't already have a few dents, I recommended getting some primer, and painting splotches in a few areas on your car. This way you look like a shithead who's too lazy or broke to have repairs done professionally. Better yet, have your girlfriend back your car into a tree, and then apply the primer. This technique has worked successfully for me for several years.

The inverse of this technique is to put stickers advertising your willing ability to travel the country and its many states at your leisure, purchasing brand-name consumer goods at every stop while displaying your ability to donate generously to important causes such as Patagonia, Smith Sunglasses, and Rock Shox.

I have found the following bumper stickers to be effective:

"My kid is an honor student at an Al Qaida training camp"

"If you can hit me with a Soviet Era RPG you are driving too close"

"Caution - Show camels on board"

PS - leave nothing in it, unlocked, leave the keys in the igniton, and secrete the distributor rotor.

Ideas I use . . .

- Remove all stickers from your car that promote your expensive outdoor toys.

- Keep the wallet at home. When climbing, bring a "trail wallet" of $40-$60 in cash, driver license and single credit card, in a ziplock bag. Bring this with you in the pack, or hide it really well in the car. No sense in risking your entire wallet at a sketchy trailhead when you really only need these 3 items.

- I like the rocket box idea. Has anyone here ever been ripped off with gear left in one of these?

Not sure that is a good idea in the back woods when nobody's around.

I know I have an "ON" switch and the guy coming back from his excursion might wonder what the pile of junk is in the parking lot and where his car went.

I would like this to keep dogs from pissing on my wheels though.

Where you park is helpful.

At 38, I park right on the road by the old bridge instead of tucked back into the trees.

Also I took my bumper stickers off.

"Where you guys going climbing?" ...... "Oh that's a great climb".....10 minutes later........bam! That was a classic line at snow creek parking lot for a while.

Squamish is hands down the worse. It is kinda sad when I'm coming back from skiing at blackcomb I don't climb their anymore with all that expense ski gear in the rig. Oh well, smith is better than squamish anyways.