[TR] Mt Hood - Castle Crags 12/19/2006

OlegV

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No you are not a shitty rock climber. You are just a rock climber just like so many of us.

It is most important in this game that one have the mental capacity to keep ourselves safe. Which means knowing both your own limitations and the potential for external issues (like rockfall, bad weather, issues, etc etc) .

You are all that. I've known 5.11 climbers who are shitty climbers.

A shitty rock climber would be an unsafe person. I have known a few. But you are not a shitty rock climber Muff.

I suspect you'd also be good company on a mountain, you might suck some of these folks into inviting you along if you are interested.

Practice practice practice self arrest first.

No you are not a shitty rock climber. You are just a rock climber.

It is most important in this game that one have the mental capacity to keep ourselves safe. Which means knowing both your own limitations and the potential for external issues (like rockfall, bad weather, issues, etc etc) .

You are all that. I've known 5.11 climbers who are shitty climbers.

A shitty rock climber would be an unsafe person. I have known a few. But you are not a shitty rock climber Muff. I suspect you'd also be good company on a mountain, you might suck some of these folks into inviting you along if you are interested.

Practice practice practice self arrest first.

I am interested. I am slow and i can't carry a ton of weight, but i am fun :grin:

Edited by Muffy_The_Wanker_Sprayer

Guys! The south side of Hood is nothing but a walk-up! Don't be intimidated. People 'climb' it in running shoes. In fact, going light is a key to the Hogsback. Going through the Pearly Gates is another matter. Three weeks ago MtHigh and I retrieted of the Devil's Kitchen HW variation due to ice fall, finishing via the right shoulder of Hogsback and the Pearly gates. We encountered sweet 50-55 degree alpine ice and the Gates was a 10 ft icy step. So, if you are a novice, I would recommend the West Crater Rim variation as a direct finish - it's just a snow slope.

Here is another shot of Yocum a couple of days ago - morning and afternoon ones:

S-Yocum1-2-3A.jpg

S-Yocum1.jpg

So, if you are a novice, I would recommend the West Crater Rim variation as a direct finish - it's just a snow slope.

Not to be a school marm but I have a lot of respect for the WCR after it killed 1 through massive trauma and hurt others in an avalanche in 1998. Evaluate carefully, esp on sunny days after a storm. It can be a great ski otherwise.

Sorry to jump in and hope Im not hijacking, but your TR photos are very interesting. Is there a post or picture anywhere on the board that gives detail to a snow shelter? Would really like to see one of these (other than a diagram) to get a decent visual of size and construction.

Did a search but didnt have much luck.

T.I.A.

• 2 weeks later...