Funny stories of cluless Seattle snow drivers

SemoreJugs

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just by the fact that the city closes when there is snow on the streets say something. I think they do the same thing in the south as well. I remember NC they close the city if the was a dusting.

During those snow days when I would head up to the mountain, you'd see washingtonians driving single file at about 20-30. I would pass them like they were sitting still at a blazing 45-50, the scary part wasn't the snow, it was the drivers.

So, here's a question for the elder CC.commies:

Were there not more snowy days in Seattle during the 60's, 70's, and 80's?

After talking with a few climbers who have lived here longer than I, they all seem to recall many more days of cold and snow in the city than seem to be the norm for the last decade and a half that I've lived here.

So, here's a question for the elder CC.commies:

Were there not more snowy days in Seattle during the 60's, 70's, and 80's?

After talking with a few climbers who have lived here longer than I, they all seem to recall many more days of cold and snow in the city than seem to be the norm for the last decade and a half that I've lived here.

We had to walk up-hill both ways through four-feet of snow in Norwegian-welted Vibram-lug-soled Vasques and wool knickers to get our lattes.

You punks don't know how good you've it nowadays.

Thanks for the no brainer Dru :rolleyes:

My point is; You would think that back then they would have bought equipment to prepare for those snowy, cold days. Or at least have made plans to move equipment from noessential areas, such as Rainer, or even the passes, to help keep things flowing at least in the urban areas. It seems as though they (Metro Buses, DOT, etc) have absolutely no concept of what to do when a few flakes come down.

When we rolled in Tuesday morning around 2am going west on I-90, it was almost Apocolyptic. There was almost no one on the highway, and buses and cars where lined up in the ditch in Issaquah. Those few individuals who were on the roads, were going the stereotypical 20-30 mph and the roads really were not that bad. It was cold, so the snow wasn't melting when you drove over it and then refreezing into ice. At least, no yet :?

I was stuck in that horrible mess on I-405 between Bellevue and Bothell on Monday night. I got in the right lane after 160th St. because it was moving. It was my intention to head west on 522 (Bothell Way). When I approached the overpass, I could see almost no cars on it. There was a car that was stuck about a quarter of the way up. No one attempted to go around him. They just sat there, waiting.

I stayed in the right lane and exited east towards Monroe. East bound 522 was practically deserted. I got right off again at the Woodinville exit, went over the bridge, and entered 522 going westbound. I couldn't believe more people couldn't have figured this out!

When we rolled in Tuesday morning around 2am going west on I-90, it was almost Apocolyptic. There was almost no one on the highway, and buses and cars where lined up in the ditch in Issaquah. Those few individuals who were on the roads, were going the stereotypical 20-30 mph and the roads really were not that bad. It was cold, so the snow wasn't melting when you drove over it and then refreezing into ice. At least, no yet :?

It sure was when I drove through Issaquah eastbound Tuesday morning @5:30am... for a few miles I-90 was a sheet of ice...

Someone in an SUV off to the side of the road decided to pull back into the highway right as I was coming along, and immediately went perpendicular to the lanes (clearly still in 2wd), slid across the highway, and finally ended up facing towards me in my lane (which luckily I was able to get out of before smashing into her).

Edited by philfort

It WAS a sheet of ice even around 8 when I drove eastbound to the pass. The temp never got out of the twentys that day. It was funny to see the cops laughing and shaking there heads at all the cars strewn out all over the place. Monday was a good day to drive a civic with low profile tires