pons & tennies

Gary_Yngve

I tried out a pair of the Camp steel 6-point "half-"pons on Saturday.

Took me several attempts to rig it so it wouldn't torque off (the instruction manual is useless / inutile / unbrauchbar / inutil).

Some important points:

-The pon shouldn't be too close to the toe.

-The straps need to be tight when the ankle is slightly flexed.

-The straps need to be rigged to keep the rear part of the pon from pulling from the shoe.

Once I figured it out, it worked great (better and lighter than an aluminum full pon on bare glacial ice).

Tennies and pons aren't that comfortable, but for a small pocket glacier, they work great.

Here are some pics of how I rigged the pon:

camppons1.jpg

camppons2.jpg

camppons3.jpg

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The traction for traversing and going up was good on moderate frozen snow.

They actually performed better than 10-pt Al Stubais on low-angle glacier ice because they were steel.

The downsides would be:

-need to face in when going down anything too steep

-can't frontpoint with them

-with tennies, you can get into a situation where the points want to shear through the soft top half-inch of snow but you really can't kick that good of a step

Crossing talus, I could sometimes have my heel on the rock and never have the points touch. Kinda neat, I guess.

DirtyHarry, figuring out how to put these pons on tennies in such a way that they wouldn't pop off was not a simple task. Go fuck yourself. Or a sheep. Whatever you find first.

Alpinfox, if I put the back strap around my tennie, it would slip up to my ankle, and then the pon would pop off. Have a better idea?

It actually wasn't uncomfortable on my Achilles (in the mtns I was wearing a pair of socks).

The previous thread, which I did not know about (thanks Fern) looks like it has a similar rigging.

• 4 weeks later...