which is better?

Gary_Yngve

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

in another thread Otto wrote:

Yes. The FAQ says to cut the file size down to 35Kb max., so I had to reduce the resolution. Perhaps I reduced it by too much. I am happy to hear your suggestions for the perfect compromise between file size, resolution, and image dimensions. I am using IrfanView 3.95 which grants complete control over these specs. for images. So, please let me have your ideas, or a pointer to a thread where this topic may have been covered. Thank you.

Gary_Yngve responded:

Otto, I think you can ignore the size recommendations in the FAQ. Space is aplenty, and networks are faster now. I'd say 100k is a better number to shoot for.

Irfanview is a great piece of software. I'd suggest 75% JPG Quality and see how they look. I'm guessing they'll look a lot better. Space usage should be fine.

Your image dimensions (roughly 800x600) are fine.

Which is better?

jpglow.jpg

This one above is pretty cool, like someone mention it has some Monet qualities to it. This is the first picture I have seen on this website that looks like this though. It doesn't have any semblance to pictures you have added you image processing editorials to.

Now the image below looks airbrushed, I am expecting to see a damn unicorn or Care Bear some place in the image. It way too clean and perfect unlike the real world, and the subjet matter is B-O-R-I-N-G. There is little creativity here, all it is mastery of photoshop editing. Now with that said though, I do like some of the images you shoot, but it is not because they have all been cleaned up. It is because of the angle it is shot at and/or the subjet matter you have captured.

jpghigh.jpg

If you neanderthal fuckers don't give a damn, then fine, keep on flaming me when I try to offer tactful, positive criticism and assistance to improve someone's images.

the_finger.gif

As for offering your assistance, yes some might like that, but to do it in a trip report is social retardation. Yes at this point everyone knows that you are the king of Photoshopping or whatever program you use, I don't know and I don't really care. If anyone needs help or wants it they know how to get a hold of you. So stop stroking your photoshopping ego and spewing all over a trip report everytime you see a "bad" image.

Gary, 2nd one for me.

Which is better:

A bear with a chainsaw that has just been sharpened and tuned up

or

A dragon with an LED headlamp and extra batteries?

Can the dragon shoot fire? If so, I'd say dragon. Otherwise, I go with the bear if its a Kodiak or Grizzly.

As for offering your assistance, yes some might like that, but to do it in a trip report is social retardation. Yes at this point everyone knows that you are the king of Photoshopping or whatever program you use, I don't know and I don't really care. If anyone needs help or wants it they know how to get a hold of you. So stop stroking your photoshopping ego and spewing all over a trip report everytime you see a "bad" image.

Gary, if you want to be helpful without embarrassing people when they post trip reports,send them a PM and offer to help. They can then either accept or reject your offer.

If you want to educate the masses, start your own thread on Photoshop.