Drinking from the Crooked River

slothrop

At Smith last weekend, I saw a girl fill a water bottle from the river. bigdrink.gif She showed up where we were climbing and I told her nicely that I'd heard the river was seriously polluted. For a moment, I got the deer-in-the-headlights look, then she said, "Oh, it's just for our dogs." hellno3d.gif

C'mon now, friends don't let friends drink from the Crooked River. All the chemicals on all the fields for miles around get washed into it. Maybe folks working on the trails project this weekend should put up a few signs. rolleyes.gif

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not that I am advocating the high quality and health effects of drinking the crooked river, but is it really that bad compared to other rivers? I ask this because I have heard about the poor quality for about 10 years; however, if you compare where the Crooked starts and flows, to say the Columbia with seeps of radioactive water coming into it, i'd much prefer to see some climbers dog drinking that....

Oh, that's revolting, at least you tried. She must not like her dog. That river is also reputed to be a fine source for liver flukes. I watched a bloated cow float down it once.

I was just out for a swim.

Not only did she probably not like her dogs, she probably didn't think to sterilize the bottle before filling it with "people water"

Not that I am advocating the high quality and health effects of drinking the crooked river, but is it really that bad compared to other rivers? I ask this because I have heard about the poor quality for about 10 years; however, if you compare where the Crooked starts and flows, to say the Columbia with seeps of radioactive water coming into it, i'd much prefer to see some climbers dog drinking that....

Mostly agricultural runoff. pitty.gif

I climbed some hardened mud they call rock climbing in Iowa with my brother in law a few years back at a place called Palisades-Kepler State Park. The climbing itself was mildly depressing, but the Cedar River that cut the banks we were climbing makes the Crooked look like pure alpine goodness. Even the carp couldn't live in this river judging by the multiple cacasses I saw. I am color blind, but even I couldn't miss the orange hue of the water. The smell was that of water coming from a primary water treatment facility. It was pure disgusting. The only saving grace was the awesome marine fossils to be found in the gravel beds lining the river.