Motion Sensors in the Enchantments?

Greg_W

I recently met someone who used to climb in Leavenworth back in the 80's. I brought up the Enchantments and she told me that the Forest Service used to have sensors on the Snow Lakes Trail to count hikers going in as compared to number of permits issued. Now, even for a right-wing conspiracy theorist like myself, this is a bit on the edge. Any of you older climbers hear about this back then? Just curious.

Thanks,

Greg W

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... because even snafflehounds deserve a warm meal ...

Hard to imagine that the USFS would have its shit together to be that high-tech and insidious back in the 80s, a time when they were primarily focused on maximizing production of board-feet. Mulder might have a different view.

I've seen a couple of these things in Idaho. I like to just jump up and down on them for a while and inflate the #'s. Although in retrospect maybe they have a video camera as well. My climbing outfit is a bit conspicuous, and I have been noticing late model sedans around my neighborhood...

hmmmm....... [geek]

[hell no][hell no]

[ 08-19-2002, 06:36 PM: Message edited by: Chode-A-Boy ]

Despite the popularity of the Alpine Lakes the Leavenworth District is ridiculously under funded in it's wilderness and recreation programs. I seriously doubt there were counters on the trails back then meow, as they can barely afford to pay any rangers these days.

Also, the purpose of the counters (and trailhead registration cards) is to give the district managers an idea of how many people use a given area so that they can direct work and request funding appropriately.

I'm not preaching, I never fill out cards, buy passes or register for the Enchantments, but I can see why a better citizen would.

Creepy!

FWIW my buddy Kim was on a TM work party, a weeklong WTA in the Es last week, and they were joined by a number of FS rangers over the course of their tour. Kim tells me that these rangers spent a lot of time checking permits up there, and turned several people back for not having them. Additionally the rangers were doing enforcement on the north side of Temple Ridge, ya know, where Shield and Earle and all of that climbing is around Temple Cyn. I was up on that side week before last and didn't see any people, let alone rangers, but apparently they do go over there looking for people without permits! [Eek!]

we used some of these in yosemite, its basically a seismic sensor. we would place them at remote trail crossings into the park in hopes of catching poachers when they entered the park.

the sensor was buried under ground, and the radio antenna was usually hidden in bushes nearby. When someone, or something, would walk over, the radio was programed to transmit to a repeater, and said ranger's radio would get a signal of a computer voice saying a number designated for that sensor.

pretty freakin cool if you ask me, the technology that is. so if they use them in yosemite, i'm sure forest service peeps have them as well.

in fact, just remembered this, we had borrowed these from the forest service law enforcement guys, those nazis

[ 08-21-2002, 02:11 PM: Message edited by: gapertimmy ]

I really doubt they have motion sensors up there. I'd imagine that such a thing is fairly expensive, and though I might be a little ignorant on the subject the fine for not having a permit is nothing compared to those given to poachers. If I'm correct poachers face steep fines and even jail time so it is worth it for the land managers to set up sensors and use remote control animals to catch these guys. It's all about return of investment for these guys. I'm pretty sure it is meow easier for them to count cars around the trailhead and catch you there. Plus that way they get to check to see if you don't have your Forest Pass.

The truth is out there! [HORSECOCK]

I's seen a black helicopter with U.N. markings up there near Prussik Peak. It seems to me that they be interested in how many folk be on the South Face vs. the West Ridge. Probably something to do with the Kennedy assination, oil cartels or both. I hid behind a larch tree but they probably scanned my fingerprints and DNA from afar. Now I'm typing this late at night so's they wont's know!! Hard to hide from The Man!

I've noticed plenty of new barcodes on the backs of the trail signs and on the downstream side of bridges. And something else I noticed this summer is the little magnetic strips that they are putting in the permits and forest passes. What's up with that?

quote:

Originally posted by ScottP:

I've noticed plenty of new barcodes on the backs of the trail signs and on the downstream side of bridges. And something else I noticed this summer is the little magnetic strips that they are putting in the permits and forest passes. What's up with that?

mark of the beast- see Revelations.

quote:

Originally posted by Dru:

quote:

Originally posted by ScottP:

mark of the beast- see Revelations.

667- The neighbor of the Beast.

[Wink]