Dead bird has a new bag!

Stemalot

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i got to play with one when the rep was in last time. let me just say the pack is fawking sweet! all welded design, roll top closure, and a hip belt that pivots. i cant wait to get my hands on one. but....... they arent going to be avaliable until mid april. and there will be no deals for those of us that work in a gear shop.

they are a little heavy, but with their gear i think its worth the extra weight!! rockband.gif

I don't know about you but I don't care if jesus made the pack custom for me... if an alternate product exists that can do the same thing but weighs less I'm there.

It's like stainless steel biners and aluminum biners... stainless steel will out last aluminum by years and are much much stronger. But if you can live with replacing aluminum more often chances are you are going to go with aluminum biners... and most people do.

Cold cold world packs for me... until something lighter comes along thumbs_up.gif

Let's get things in perspective here... The important thing is that they come in loud colors, cost more than a small car - so the riff raff can't buy them - and will carry my rock shoes from my SUV to the gym comfortably.

I don't know about you but I don't care if jesus made the pack custom for me... if an alternate product exists that can do the same thing but weighs less I'm there.

It's like stainless steel biners and aluminum biners... stainless steel will out last aluminum by years and are much much stronger. But if you can live with replacing aluminum more often chances are you are going to go with aluminum biners... and most people do.

Cold cold world packs for me... until something lighter comes along thumbs_up.gif

Agreed! The sack you carry your crap in should not be the heaviest peice of equipment.

They're brilliant. The new design with how the hip belt attaches to the pack and the welded construction are a true step up in pack design. You will have to pay a little more for them however...

um. well. i disagree. I admit, that as a competitor, i'm not exactly a non concerned source. At the same time, as a competitor, I really looked at these bags very very closely.

The first welded bag in wide release was berghaus' crag pack, which as been around for awhile. The primary problems with seam welding is price, pattern and strength.

The strength bit is wierd: the bonded parts are so much stronger than the rest of the fabric, you tend to blow out the fabric rather than the seam. So, after it blows, you throw it out: the tears tend to go on the bias and get big. Since it's not just the seam, it means replacement.

Seam tapers and seam welders--like the bemis stuff used in the dead bird packs--can't make the tight radius turns that characterize packs very well. So, you change the pattern to allow you to use the machine. Unfortunately, what i've seen so far results in either a very functional bag that sucks as a load carrier for hiking (ortlieb or river bags) or a bag thats okay for hiking but hard to load effectively.

At the summer OR last year and at last year's winter OR, dead bird was showing off these packs. The prices are incredible. While the Berghaus crag costs only about $185 for a 40L bag, the 30L deadbird was projected to cost $225 and the 60L was going to be about $600.

And I hate the trend towards non replaceable snap on buckle parts. Don't people break them? Am I the only person who breaks plastic?

They're brilliant. The new design with how the hip belt attaches to the pack and the welded construction are a true step up in pack design. You will have to pay a little more for them however...

um. well. i disagree. I admit, that as a competitor, i'm not exactly a non concerned source. At the same time, as a competitor, I really looked at these bags very very closely.

The first welded bag in wide release was berghaus' crag pack, which as been around for awhile. The primary problems with seam welding is price, pattern and strength.

The strength bit is wierd: the bonded parts are so much stronger than the rest of the fabric, you tend to blow out the fabric rather than the seam. So, after it blows, you throw it out: the tears tend to go on the bias and get big. Since it's not just the seam, it means replacement.

Seam tapers and seam welders--like the bemis stuff used in the dead bird packs--can't make the tight radius turns that characterize packs very well. So, you change the pattern to allow you to use the machine. Unfortunately, what i've seen so far results in either a very functional bag that sucks as a load carrier for hiking (ortlieb or river bags) or a bag thats okay for hiking but hard to load effectively.

At the summer OR last year and at last year's winter OR, dead bird was showing off these packs. The prices are incredible. While the Berghaus crag costs only about $185 for a 40L bag, the 30L deadbird was projected to cost $225 and the 60L was going to be about $600.

And I hate the trend towards non replaceable snap on buckle parts. Don't people break them? Am I the only person who breaks plastic?

Interesting points. Their suspension probably romps, though. I've got an Arc'teryx pack that is not quite so welded and roll-toppy and whatnot, but the suspension is dreamy, Cadillac-comfortable goodness.

Fixed buckles are stupid, though, as is the roll-top. Doesn't seem to open as wide as a standard top-loader, and it seems like a somewhat dubious "improvement." Nice for a dry-bag, but how many people go boating with a pack on? rolleyes.gif I love the tech shit as much as the next gear junkie, but it's nice if it's actually useful, y'know?

Interesting quote on that site describing the small lil Ozone pack:

"The Ozone is a super-durable daypack perfect for the dedicated rockclimber or hiker. The clean lines uncluttered by ice axe straps or other paraphenalia ensures that you won't be mistaken for an ice-climber, mountaineer or other such deviant. ".......

yelrotflmao.gif

packs

Randy is a funny dude and a hell of an artist. He just shipped me a chernobyl... at my request he did ice tool loops in place of ice tool tubes so I can carry my leashless tool and he also left off some accessories I didn't want. The whole package should check in under 3 lbs... Stoked!

Congrats Luke thumbs_up.gif

Good to hear you finally found a bag that can carry 4 pairs of shoes, 5 pounds of chalk, 8 brushes, your bong, a prana hoodie, lunch, and a guide book comfortably... I can only imagine how hellish those 5 minute approaches must have been before you found Cilogear. rolleyes.gif

Seam tapers and seam welders--like the bemis stuff used in the dead bird packs--can't make the tight radius turns that characterize packs very well. So, you change the pattern to allow you to use the machine.

Might not be a problem. Arc'teryx die cuts seam tape to fit curves on their jackets already, and could easily adapt that to packs I'm sure.

you still don't have a sense of humor...???? damn shame....

My arcteryx pack is now ripped in 3 places and can' really be used....

and John, just for the quick record, besides that time in 11worth when you were too scared to boulder with alpinfox, misterE and I we've never climbed together. that's all. I don't know why you always seem to have your chubby stomach in a knot, but it's your life.

Might not be a problem. Arc'teryx die cuts seam tape to fit curves on their jackets already, and could easily adapt that to packs I'm sure.

That has nothing to do with it at all. The depth of the layers of material and the radius of the turns is the limiting factor. No jacket on the market comes close to matching the radius of the bottom of most packs. You can see this in the dead bird packs...they're totally different shapes because of the machines, not because of human considerations. Beyond that, laser cutting is far superior to die cutting, but there really isn't any gain from the cutting technique...it has more to do with production efficiency and the type of material more than assembly technique.

As to my packs, well, they're lighter and better and i'm just so cool as a result... bigdrink.gif

uh, yeah. tongue.gif it might be true, but everybody on the planet has a different set of needs, and no one pack is going to be right for everybody.

best part about this bag and pretty much all newly released gear is the amount of urbanites that rush out to buy this shit. i mean what your old shit doesnt work anymore? like all the people selling their cams for the new c4s. shit i bet 95%of you office slobs won't be able send any harder, hike any faster or climb any harder. its not the gear that makes the climber it is the person and their mentality aiming towards success.

these bags are dumb.

crackers, i am still waiting to product test one of your mid-size bags for sierra alpine and b/c skiing trips. you can even stay at my house when you drop it off.

Actually Luke I do have a sense of humor.

It's just when you feel the need to not only jump on any post I make but go spray on my photos in my gallery these "jokes" as you call them become quite old quite quickly.

Maybe if you knew me better (as you pointed out) you'd know what I do and don't find funny. wave.gif

best part about this bag and pretty much all newly released gear is the amount of urbanites that rush out to buy this shit. i mean what your old shit doesnt work anymore? like all the people selling their cams for the new c4s. shit i bet 95%of you office slobs won't be able send any harder, hike any faster or climb any harder. its not the gear that makes the climber it is the person and their mentality aiming towards success.

Comical jealousy/"deep" elementary-school philosophy. Who gives a fuck if someone else bought new gear? Fucking shut up and climb, and leave your sour grapes at home. the_finger.gif