i'm going to be a feminazi for a minute.

minx

this post is largely directed at griz and whomever else it applies:

why all the animosity towards the post about a chick soloing rainier. sorry if it bothers you that it was pointed out that it was a woman climber. i don't think anyone acknowledging this climb cares in particular that it was done by a woman. nor are they acknowledging it b/c they're simply horny guys as was implied on that thread.

1) would you be equally offended if i said did you see that woman who won the figure skating gold medal? or should i just say skater? maybe the inclusion of gender is a throw back to days of yore but get over it. it's not demeaning to Hannah--she probably considers it a good thing that people can identify her as female.

2) there are fewer female climbers than male. it's more of a novelity so it gets pointed out. it doesn't diminish the accomplishments of a man doing the same route.

3) you're demeaning the guys on the board by suggesting that they're fawning over this accomplishment just b/c it was done by a woman. that's crap. we all bitch b/c there's not enough posts about climbing. well that was a post about climbing and people posted on it. they would've posted on it if you or some other guy had done that particular climb

d) acknowledging personal accomplishments, regardless of difficulty isn't a bad thing. so what if it had been the DC route in june? if that had been a goal of someone and CBS had posted something about it, then where's the harm. you might not think much of the route but others might appreciate the personal accomplishment.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images