READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY? (Recommedations?)

billcoe

I was perusing this thread about a month ago and picked up 2 great books recommended on this site. I read botha dn want to thank those who recommended them. Robert Hughes "The Fatal Shore", and "The Prize" by Danial Yergin. I found "The Prize" especially powerful and interesting.

Soo. Heres a few more I found which you might check out:

"Enders Game and Enders Shadow" by Olsen Scott Card, both top notch Science Fiction. "Titan" by Ron Chernov, perhaps the best biography I've every read (subject is John D Rockerfeller Sr.)

Anybody else have any topnotch books to share?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been reading a bit of a hodgepoge lately. Quite a bit of shorter stuff by Tom Wolfe, all of which has been quite funny and very entertaining. "The Painted World," "From Bauhaus to Our House, " and "MauMauing the Flak-Catchers," were all hillarious and make for a nice afternoon of reading.

Other stuff includes "The True Believers" by Eric Hoffer - basically his ruminations concerning the origins of mass movements. I think the story of his life is just as interesting as the book. From what I can recall he was blind as a child, regained his vision as a teen, and read furiously from that point on as he wasn't sure how long the gift of vision would last. He spent most of his adult life working as a longshoreman, and never pursued a higher education - a fact which quite a few people cite as the reason for the refreshing degree of originality and commmon sense that he brought to the book, seeing as how if he'd been through any university in the forties or fifties he'd probably have lost his thesis in the usual ghoulash of Marx and Freud.

Also reading "From Subsistence to Exchange," which is a series of essays on the economics of development by a guy who was one of the few dissidents from most of the central economic orthodoxies of the day. Good stuff but quite unlikely to appeal to anyone else on this board.

I was perusing this thread about a month ago and picked up 2 great books recommended on this site. I read botha dn want to thank those who recommended them. Robert Hughes "The Fatal Shore", and "The Prize" by Danial Yergin. I found "The Prize" especially powerful and interesting.

Soo. Heres a few more I found which you might check out:

"Enders Game and Enders Shadow" by Olsen Scott Card, both top notch Science Fiction. "Titan" by Ron Chernov, perhaps the best biography I've every read (subject is John D Rockerfeller Sr.)

Anybody else have any topnotch books to share?

Hey, I read Ender's Game and I'd love to read the two sequels too.

I just read The Medieval Machine. It really changed the way I regard the middle ages.

"Enders Game and Enders Shadow" by Olsen Scott Card, both top notch Science Fiction.

It's ORSON Scott Card, and his Alvin Prentice series is some of the best stuff I have ever read. Also: "Maps in the Mirror" is an excellent collection of his short work.

FYI wave.gif

I don't like Bauer or Sen...years working in developing economies suggest to me that the world has significantly changed since 'from subsistence...' was written.

Freakonomics is tolerable.

Post Cowboy Economics is fantastic. (disclosure: written by my econ prof, i helped on early versions of one chapter...)

The White Rock, An Exploration of the Inca Heartland was pretty good.

Good stuff but quite unlikely to appeal to anyone else on this board.

Yeah, it's not like anyone here has an open mind or anything. rolleyes.gif

I should have amended that to say - "Will only appeal to a very limited number of posters on this board." If you want a case study that exemplifies many of the problems that Bauer discusses in "From Subsistence to Exchange," pick up "The Road to Hell" by Michael Maren. It chronicles Somalia's death-spiral and the tragic experiences of one aid-worker who was trying to stop it. It's a hearbreaking read, but if you ever wanted to understand the context in which the intervention of the early 90's took place, it's a great book for that. I think that "The Road to Hell" would actually appeal to just about anyone, but I'd recommend stocking-up on Zoloft, "Barney" DVDs, and "Chicken Soup for the ______" books to restore psychological equilibrium when you're done.

I don't like Bauer or Sen...years working in developing economies suggest to me that the world has significantly changed since 'from subsistence...' was written.

Freakonomics is tolerable.

Post Cowboy Economics is fantastic. (disclosure: written by my econ prof, i helped on early versions of one chapter...)

The White Rock, An Exploration of the Inca Heartland was pretty good.

Post-Cowboy Economics looks interesting. Thanks for the rec.

Pretty much every country that's had any power to abuse has done so at some point in their history, but what stands out about this episode is both how thoroughly it's been forgotten, and the fact that in most cases of large-scale slaughter the participants at least invoked some grand principle - with varying degrees of sincerity - to justify their actions, but Leopold seems to have forgone even this traditional ablution.

Makes an interesting backdrop for anyone who's a Joseph Conrad fan. I suppose it's worth adding "Heart of Darkness" to the recommended list if there's anyone out there who hasn't read it.

Pretty much every country that's had any power to abuse has done so at some point in their history, but what stands out about this episode is both how thoroughly it's been forgotten, and the fact that in most cases of large-scale slaughter the participants at least invoked some grand principle - with varying degrees of sincerity - to justify their actions, but Leopold seems to have forgone even this traditional ablution.

That is certainly true - but it's also intresting to note that the former British Colonies emerged generally stronger and better governed than the other European (or American) colonies. cue:

The Rise and Fall of the British Empire - Lawrence James