Disaster Narrowly Averted

catbirdseat

I took my car to a Bellevue mechanic recommended by my friend korup. He was supposed to find out why the left front wheel was rubbing on the wheel well. While the car was on the rack he discovered that the previous owner or owner's mechanic had installed the front struts rotated 180 degrees from proper position. As a result, the brackets holding the brake lines were on the outside facing the wheels. The snow chains I had used on Saturday apparently had snagged the bracket on the right side pulling it so that the brake line was rubbing on the wheel rim. On the left side, one could see cracks in the brake line resulting from its having been bent at an extreme radius. Either line could have broken at any time resulting in a crash!

Another mechanic who had recently replaced the left axle never noticed the problem. I consider myself to be very lucky.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In 1994, after driving a rental truck all over Vancouver Island, and then sending it back to the company we rented it from, they sent us a bill for $1800 along with a note mentioning that the front brakes were no longer part of the truck. apparently I ripped them off while driving over 6 foot high alders on a logging road.

i had never driven a truck before and assumed the bad handling in 2wd on pavement was normal tongue.gif

In 1994, after driving a rental truck all over Vancouver Island, and then sending it back to the company we rented it from, they sent us a bill for $1800 along with a note mentioning that the front brakes were no longer part of the truck. apparently I ripped them off while driving over 6 foot high alders on a logging road.

i had never driven a truck before and assumed the bad handling in 2wd on pavement was normal tongue.gif

You should have rented a bulldozer. grin.gif

I took my car to a Bellevue mechanic recommended by my friend korup. He was supposed to find out why the left front wheel was rubbing on the wheel well. While the car was on the rack he discovered that the previous owner or owner's mechanic had installed the front struts rotated 180 degrees from proper position. As a result, the brackets holding the brake lines were on the outside facing the wheels. The snow chains I had used on Saturday apparently had snagged the bracket on the right side pulling it so that the brake line was rubbing on the wheel rim. On the left side, one could see cracks in the brake line resulting from its having been bent at an extreme radius. Either line could have broken at any time resulting in a crash!

Another mechanic who had recently replaced the left axle never noticed the problem. I consider myself to be very lucky.

One of your lives has now been taken from you.