Snoqualmie Pass Conditions

John Frieh

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From a friend who was in there on 12/06:

I was on the snow lake area today and the snow is knee deep with snow shoes. I tried to go up to the Tooth but I was too pissed with the snow close to my waist. I did manage to get to the rocky rim around snow lake. It was still an awesome day.

Just got back from Alpental. Alex and I climbed the WI3 route this morning. W2 pitch is thin wet and unprotectable until the belay station below the WI3 step. WI3 step is in, but not so fat. WI2 above is covered with snow and whatever below the snow is thin wet and unprotectable.

It was warm at 7-8am. Now its quite above freezing.

Other WI2 routes are in similar conditions.

I was up ther Sunday. So were A LOT of other people. Conditions were mostly as pup shows. A little less snow on the faces and gulleys. Snow was gloppy by 10:00 am.

Damn this inversion. It was clearly colder at Source Lake than it was at the Chair Peak saddle.

We walked in via the Source Lake trail and out via the Cat Track. Lots and lots of ice in the area, unfortunately most doesn't look ready to climb. The warmer temps up high should help this out, melting some snow so that it can refreeze down lower.