Mt. Pugh

Darrel

Hi guys...new guy here. I'm an older climber who is way to slow to climb with anyone ( maybe your granmother) but myself. So...I try and go places that are safe and non-tech. I was thinking of going up on Pugh this weekend and saw what Becky had to say about it. Thought I might see what you guys have to say. Trust me...I stay on the dog side of things. Is Pugh don't worth the bother becouse i see no post about it? Anyway...I enjoy reading your post here and hope you guys don't mind an old climber hanging (lurking) about.

Thanks in advance,

Old has been

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a great little peak with a commanding view of Sloan. The top was blasted off to accommodate a fire tower that is no longer there. A decent hike, some small talus to deal with above the lake, and then a short scramble to the top. I've always thought it would be a good introduction to alpine scrambling.

Pugh's a great hike, with about a mile of vertical gain. I've been up it a bunch of times, in all kinds of conditions. This time of year it's snow-free on the trail (I had a great view of it last weekend from Sperry and Vesper). The route's just a comfy walk to the lake (other than navigating the usual blown-down trees), and then a big pull up switchbacks to the basin with all the talus. From there it's a steep trail to Stujack Pass, and from there the fun really begins. There's still another 1,500' or so to the summit, but on a clear day it's all views. Be sure to check out the old A-frame winch along the ridge. It was used for the old look-out tower, which by the way, still has remnants on the summit.

A couple of years ago I was headed up the switchbacks to Stujack with a couple of friends, and we were moving OK but not too fast, since we had a bunch of climbing gear (we were going exploring--but that's a different story). When we were about half-way up, I looked down and noticed a guy coming up the talus field at quite a clip. He continued up to us in a hurry and breezed by at a near jog, and I noticed he had a small pack, black compression shorts, black boots, and a floppy jungle-camo hat, none of which is anything strange, but he also had a long walking staff that he was carrying horizontally--it never touched the ground. There was something in the way he moved it around that seemed odd, so an hour or so later, when we were up on the ridge having lunch, I watched him coming back down from the summit, and he was still carrying the staff the same way. He was still moving very quickly, and I'm sure he simply tagged the summit before heading back down. Well, he came by us again, but this time stopped when one of my friends said something, trying to be friendly. It was at that point it all made sense: I noticed his "Ranger" tatoo on his calf, right above his boot. When my friend joked to him that if he hurried, he could probably still get up and down Pilchuck before dark, his humorless response was, "Yes, I probably will." And then he was off, still deftly toting his surrogate rifle. (I don't think I would want to be a Taliban soldier on the other end of his real M-4.) It's always something new and different in the mountains, eh?

Have fun.

I agree, go for it. I've been up Pugh 3 or 4 times, various times of year or conditions. Took a dog once (not to the summit), no problems w/ that. I prefer it in late spring/early summer when there's still snow on it (fairly steep in some places) and it's not a walk up. Definitely worth your while. Fantastic view of Glacier Peak as well, I might add.

I did it about this time of year a couple of years ago, with dogs.

It's kind of a long slog through trees and about a hundred switchbacks before you get out into the open, but it's pretty up there.

I posted a trip report with some photos at:

http://home.attbi.com/~tbreit/pugh3.htm

(Please ignore the somewhat overwrought prose. There's a lot of editing in my future.)

Thank you everyone...looks like Pugh will be just what I need this weekend. Alpine Tom, I went to your site and read your report, It was great and the photos make the views seem well worth the hike and scamble. Maybe I will be able to get some photos of my own to share. Darrel

• 2 weeks later...