hybrid cars

olyclimber

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My mom has a Civic Hybrid that shes had since the first year they came out. No major problems, but I will ask her for specifics when I see her on Turkeyday. My advisor has a Prius. His first one got totaled so now he is on his second. I have driven both and prefer the prius, although it looks kind of goofy. Both have good power, but the prius has more tech-nerd features and really good interior design. No blind spots and very well thought out. Both are great cars IMO. Personally, I am kind of excited about the Ford escape Hybrid for overall utility, however I have many doubts about ford quality compared to the japanese.

screw hybrids go with a small diesel car and burn biodiesel, the cars get like 40 +, you can make your own biodiesel, or by it from me, and biodiesel puts out way less pollution.

If your looking for fuel efficiency this seems the way to go. Some of the new VW get 50mpg or some such insanity. While the hybrids are coming in around 40+. Relatively low-tech, proven systems have something that can be said for them. It seems half the hybrid push has been slightly better gas mileage and higher HP, which is lame.

My advisor also has a Prius and likes it. I wonder which is actually better for the environment. Diesel seems to be a slightly dirtier fuel, but there's nasty shit that goes into making/disposing of batteries.

Most reports that I've read suggest that hybrids really don't offer that much of an advantage over conventional vehicles when driven on the highway, when most or all of the power is coming from the combustion engine. Compare the hybrid premium to the increase in fuel economy over the projected battery-life versus a regular car in the same class and see if you actually save any money before taking the plunge.

Not in the market - but I've heard that there are tax-incentives for hybrid owners as well, so that might tilt the balance sheet in favor of the hybrid.....

I need to buy a gas hog beater pickup for $1000 so I can buy a boat on a trailer and tow it down to the straits and back. Maybe I'll try to find a diesel pickup so I can be cool and use biodiesel. I think it's in the cards for me ...after all, I'm an ex-greener.

I need an efficient bio-diesel rig so I can tow my toxin-spewing two-cylider to the lake to poison your water. evils3d.gif

I need to buy a gas hog beater pickup for $1000 so I can buy a boat on a trailer and tow it down to the straits and back. Maybe I'll try to find a diesel pickup so I can be cool and use biodiesel. I think it's in the cards for me ...after all, I'm an ex-greener.

I need an efficient bio-diesel rig so I can tow my toxin-spewing two-cylider to the lake to poison your water. evils3d.gif

You must be referring to Lake Whatcom, the water supply for Bellingham. the_finger.gif

You must be referring to Lake Whatcom, the water supply for Bellingham. the_finger.gif

Got me. yellaf.gif