Enchantment Area / Stuart Range Conditions

gyselinck

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bug and I went in towards Colchuck Lake monday/Tuesday with overly large packs.

There is/was a trail broken to the trail junction. after that, we hit a 2" breakable crust with 2 feet of unconsolidated snow underneath. even with snowshoes we were breaking through the crust, sometimes producing a decent 'whumping'. then it snowed about 6" on Monday night. we sat around yesterday morning listening to at least a half dozen natural release avalanches coming from the Dragontail/Colchuck area. we turned around. on the way out we spotted triple couloirs, I think they look ok. gotta wait for better snow conditions though. maybe Bug will post a pic or 2.

The road is gated.

it's snowing again in Leavenworth now.

I have renamed Wazzumountaineer. He is now Legolas the Snow-walker. It was a good workout but no climbing. Oh well.

Here is a pic of Dragontail from near the trail junction. We went up the opposite side a ways to get a better view.

showphoto.php?photo=15621&size=big&password=&sort=1&cat=504

Oh well. It's in the gallery.

Edited by Bug

Yes. According to the trailhead register, they put in a Snowshoe pack to lake Stuart. BUT, when we were following it, it was already covered pretty well and it had a breakable crust here and there. It was better than nothing but not by a lot. Expect deep snow past the turnoff to Colchuck both ways.