Another well-qualified nominee

JoshK

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"An outspoken supporter of the Bush administration, she was a leader of its search for potential candidates to fill Supreme Court posts. A White House official said that at the same time, Bush considered her as a nominee without her knowledge."

Ahh, yes, a complete supporter of his administration! Just the free-thinking independent open mind I expect from a supreme court justice!

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/10/03/scotus.miers/index.html

I will fully admit I know ZERO about this woman as I haven't even heard of her before, but I was a bit surprised to see she has NEVER been a judge at any level.

The Bush Administration counts that as her greatest asset. She has almost no public record. Bush knows everything he needs to know about her, but Congress will only find out what Bush wants them to know.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/10/03/scotus.miers/index.html

I will fully admit I know ZERO about this woman as I haven't even heard of her before, but I was a bit surprised to see she has NEVER been a judge at any level.

Nor had Earl Warren.

nor did rehnquist - and for the majority of its history the court has been filled w/ judges w/ no previous judicial experience. i don't know that that's a good thing necessarily, but as court's tend to be defined by tradition, it makes sense that any given nominee will lack previous black robe credentials.

the only thing that worries me so far is the SMU background - my cousin went to SMU - hellno3d.gif

nor did rehnquist - and for the majority of its history the court has been filled w/ judges w/ no previous judicial experience. i don't know that that's a good thing necessarily, but as court's tend to be defined by tradition, it makes sense that any given nominee will lack previous black robe credentials.

OK, but what qualifies her to be a supreme court judge? Roberts argued many cases before the court, and served as a federal judge, as I recall.

Another way to look at it is to compare her qualifications with those of the other sitting judges on the court. If she is the least qualified of them all, then the Dems have a strong case to reject her.

Maybe I am reading wrong, but it seems Kaska and I agree. I don't really see anything in her resume that puts her in any sort of "qualified" category for a supreme court position. Furthermore, the fact that she is a "supporter" of the current administration is pretty whack. I'd like judges to at least *seem* non-political. tongue.gif

Maybe I am reading wrong, but it seems Kaska and I agree. I don't really see anything in her resume that puts her in any sort of "qualified" category for a supreme court position. Furthermore, the fact that she is a "supporter" of the current administration is pretty whack. I'd like judges to at least *seem* non-political. tongue.gif

It does look very bad to nominate a friend that doesn't appear qualified. A cronyism double-whammy.

It does look very bad to nominate a friend that doesn't appear qualified. A cronyism double-whammy.

I see the unicorns are continuing to work their magic.

"It's not as bad as Caligula putting his horse in the Senate." - Richard Brookhiser, National Review

Maybe the horse was more qualifed than the average senator romanus? yellaf.gif

Suetonius, the source for most of the wacky stories about the Caesars, says that Caligula merely intended to make his favorite horse consul. It didn't actually happen. Whatever. It was a long time ago.