North Cascades Hwy to open late.

DPS

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/regions/NorthCentral/Maint/Area3/nc2002/NC1Eastside.htm

"The snow pact is very hard this year, due in part to the water content in snow and from the snow mobile usage. The blowers have had a hard time staying down and have been riding up leaving a couple of feet of snow pact below them. "

I think our friends Alex and Phil have something to do with this...

• 2 weeks later...

I talked to a very nice lady at the Log House Inn at Marblemount. She gave me the low down on the USDOT operation at the North Cascades highway. Here it is.....

They might be open for 1 lane operations on May 3rd.

They tentatively plan for the opening on May 10.

I just got an email from WSDOT in regards to the opening of HWY 20.

The official word from Dan Gates the WSDOT Okanogan Maintenance Superintendent:

"I can safely say that it will not be open this weekend. We are hoping for the later part of next week, barring any more problems."

Looks like another week of hoping and waiting [Roll Eyes]

I found that most of the time that they have the road plowed all the way throught but the DOT dosen't allowed the road to be open until they feel it be safe.

I bet right now it plowed and the date that I have heard from the DOT was around may 15th

Not sure if someone else posted this info on another thread, but the North Cascades Hwy opened on Tuesday morning (5/7). Came over that way from the dry side tonight. Not as much snow up there as I expected. Aside from places where there is 30-40 foot deep road cuts through avy debris, there's maybe 6-7 feet max snowpack along the highway at Rainy and Washington passes. Liberty Bell, the Spires, etc. were heavily plastered with snow.

Some joker has been messing with the signs along the highway, taping out key letters. For example, you can now visit "Easy ass Trailhead" or stay at "Colon Creek Campground.

Stay tuned for a full TR of an eventful few days, including whippers at the Tieton, a freezing night spend huddled under the hand dryer at a Pacific Pride gas station with a roll of TP for a pillow, and running waterfall climbing on Goat Wall...

[ 05-10-2002, 12:36 AM: Message edited by: Uncle Tricky ]