60 years ago

j_b

I would gladly see the day where FEMINIE leaders were at the head of the most powerful countries. This likely is hundreds of years away in human societal evolution. I think male and female have little to do with it, rather masculine vs feminine. For a feminine leadership to arise, it would have to be more of a council, rather than an individual figure. Feminine leadership and desicions occur thru consensus, not overpowering force, that is a masculine quality.

With that said, I doubt many women in positions of power are much different than men in power. they have to assert an even FIERCER aggresiveness to get there (although often in a more subtle, hidden way).

Thoughts?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Semore, are you a moron? I clearly stated that I was unsure whether it was the correct decision or not. And the super flu was mearly a for-instance. Learn to read, and quit telling me that I condoned the dropping of the atom bomb, I was trying to elucidate some of the many questions that Truman, Marshall, etc had to grapple with.

I would gladly see the day where FEMINIE leaders were at the head of the most powerful countries. This likely is hundreds of years away in human societal evolution. I think male and female have little to do with it, rather masculine vs feminine. For a feminine leadership to arise, it would have to be more of a council, rather than an individual figure. Feminine leadership and desicions occur thru consensus, not overpowering force, that is a masculine quality.

With that said, I doubt many women in positions of power are much different than men in power. they have to assert an even FIERCER aggresiveness to get there (although often in a more subtle, hidden way).

Thoughts?

I never thought of leadership style/options this way. Good question. I have to chew on this for a bit to see what I think about it...

I am interested to find out what other people post on this.

We Must Act Now to Prevent Another Hiroshima - or Worse

The explosions in London are a reminder of how the cycle of attack and response could escalate

by Noam Chomsky

This month's anniversary of the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki prompts only the most somber reflection and most fervent hope that the horror may never be repeated.

In the subsequent 60 years, those bombings have haunted the world's imagination but not so much as to curb the development and spread of infinitely more lethal weapons of mass destruction.

A related concern, discussed in technical literature well before 11 September 2001, is that nuclear weapons may sooner or later fall into the hands of terrorist groups.

The recent explosions and casualties in London are yet another reminder of how the cycle of attack and response could escalate, unpredictably, even to a point horrifically worse than Hiroshima or Nagasaki.

The world's reigning power accords itself the right to wage war at will, under a doctrine of "anticipatory self-defense" that covers any contingency it chooses. The means of destruction are to be unlimited.

US military expenditures approximate those of the rest of the world combined, while arms sales by 38 North American companies (one in Canada) account for more than 60 per cent of the world total (which has risen 25 per cent since 2002).

There have been efforts to strengthen the thin thread on which survival hangs. The most important is the nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty (NPT), which came into force in 1970. The regular five-year review conference of the NPT took place at the United Nations in May.

The NPT has been facing collapse, primarily because of the failure of the nuclear states to live up to their obligation under Article VI to pursue "good faith" efforts to eliminate nuclear weapons. The United States has led the way in refusal to abide by the Article VI obligations. Mohamed ElBaradei, head of the International Atomic Energy Agency, emphasizes that "reluctance by one party to fulfill its obligations breeds reluctance in others".

President Jimmy Carter blasted the United States as "the major culprit in this erosion of the NPT. While claiming to be protecting the world from proliferation threats in Iraq, Libya, Iran and North Korea, American leaders not only have abandoned existing treaty restraints but also have asserted plans to test and develop new weapons, including Anti-Ballistic missiles, the earth-penetrating 'bunker buster' and perhaps some new 'small' bombs. They also have abandoned past pledges and now threaten first use of nuclear weapons against non-nuclear states".

[...]

http://www.commondreams.org/views05/0806-25.htm

4) When would have the Invasion have taken place? 1946. And there was true fear that the Japanese could have invented some specialized or "super" weapons in the intereme. What if they developed a "A" or "H" bomb? Or a superflu? And put it on a sub?

Wow, I am amazed at the logical leaps people will take to defend a reprehesible action so they can sleep at night.

Create a "superflu". Um sorry. Bio-Engineered viruses and bacteria were not feasible until restriction endonucleases were used to manipulate DNA in the late 80s. Up until then, germ warfare consited of spreading already isolated bugs from nature (like smallpox).

It just goes to show how people will believe nearly anything that plays off their fears. thats how the Iraq war was justified and sold to the american people.

Gee, what if we instead negotiated a truce after the firebombings, which actually killed more civilians?

You could make a strong case for America being the biggest terrorist in history next to Nazi Germany.

Dont think we were terrorists then and now? REmember the term Bonzai? It came from the Japanese men, women, and children that lined up to jump off a sea cliff named "Bonzai" from fear of being captured by Americans or killed on our terms. That was the terrorized mindset they lived and died with.

WE targeted civilians. We targeted cities. We should pay for our war-crimes. WE dont because we won and we think we are moral but we are assuredly not. Fight evil with more evil? Ummm, okay.

Einstein. Likely one of, if not the, the most intelligent people in modern history, was a hard-core pacifist nand activist. Despite popular legend, he lived in reality. He envisioned a way to settle differences other than by killing and terror. We just dont want to listen. I dont know why. cry.gif

Not to be horribly pedantic, but

Bonsai (with an o and an s) are those really cool dwarf trees that MisterE posts pictures of now and again.

Banzai (with an a and a z) were Japanese infantry charges.......essentially suicidal and rarely succesful against machine guns and artillery

The tragic civilian suicides on were neither of the above; they were just tragic suicides.

Dont think we were terrorists then and now? REmember the term Bonzai? It came from the Japanese men, women, and children that lined up to jump off a sea cliff named "Bonzai" from fear of being captured by Americans or killed on our terms. That was the terrorized mindset they lived and died with.

Not to be horribly pedantic, but

Bonsai (with an o and an s) are those really cool dwarf trees that MisterE posts pictures of now and again.

Banzai (with an a and a z) were Japanese infantry charges.......essentially suicidal and rarely succesful against machine guns and artillery

The tragic civilian suicides on were neither of the above; they were just tragic suicides.

Banzai were not always essentially suicidal in one strict sense of the word.

Our modern scourge, meth, was developed by the Japanese at this point in history and was used on the pilots to whip them into a frenzy before their flights.

I would posit that suicide is not just killing oneself, but doing so with the intention of destroying what is in one's own interest (as is used in the phrase "political suicide"). These pilots, just like suicide bombers, are not focused on killing themselves as much as damaging the opponent--their death is simply a side effect.

Not to be too pedantic or anything...but I do strongly agree with your observation that the civilian suicides are tragic, and the pilots are a different story.

Our modern scourge, meth, was developed by the Japanese at this point in history and was used on the pilots to whip them into a frenzy before their flights

Methamphetamine was first synthesized in Japan in 1919. Amphetamines and other stimulants were quite popular with all of the worlds militaries in WW2 (and are still used today).

Our modern scourge, meth, was developed by the Japanese at this point in history and was used on the pilots to whip them into a frenzy before their flights

Methamphetamine was first synthesized in Japan in 1919. Amphetamines and other stimulants were quite popular with all of the worlds militaries in WW2 (and are still used today).

Thank you for the correction.

Thank god they are still used today.

Thoughts?

Soooo, I guess what See More Jugs is saying is: Women on Top! wink.gif

cantfocus.gif

My thoughts? My thoughts?

Condi on top. That's my thoughts, she throws less dishes and has had to struggle more than Hillary. Besides, Hillary would want a woman on top. (not that there is anything wrong with that either)

Remember that you heard that here first. rockband.gif

I did a little research to figure out why the decade+ lag between the development and the use of meth/speed existed.

Although it was synthesized in 1919 by A. Ogata, the pharmacologic properties were not known until the 1930s. It was only at that time folks started using it--right in time for WW2.

More history I missed in school.

Like moths to a flame

Is man never gonna change

Time’s seen untold aggression

And infliction of pain

If that’s the only thing that’s stopping war

Then thank God for the bomb

Thank God for the bomb

Thank God for the bomb

Thank God for the bomb

Nuke ya nuke ya

War is just another game

Tailor made for the insane

But make a threat of their annihilation

And nobody wants to play

If that’s the only thing that keeps the peace

Then thank God for the bomb

Thank God for the bomb

Thank God for the bomb

Thank God for the bomb

Nuke ya nuke ya

Today was tommorow yesterday

It’s funny how the time can slip away

The face of the doomsday clock

Has launched a thousand wars

As we near the final hour

Time is the only foe we have

When war is obsolete

I’ll thank God for war’s defeat

But any talk about hell freezing over

Is all said with tongue in cheek

Until the day the war drums beat no more

I’ll thank God for the bomb

Thank God for the bomb

Thank God for the bomb

Thank God for the bomb

Nuke ya nuke ya

Create a "superflu". Um sorry. Bio-Engineered viruses and bacteria were not feasible until restriction endonucleases were used to manipulate DNA in the late 80s. Up until then, germ warfare consited of spreading already isolated bugs from nature (like smallpox).

Restriction endonucleases were discovered and used for bioengineering in the late 1960s.

wave.gif

Thank you for allow science nerd to post. Geek_em8.gif

Nagasaki Mayor Iccho Itoh said at the ceremony, "The United States has 10,000 nuclear weapons, has conducted sub-critical nuclear tests and on top of that is pursuing the development of miniature nuclear weapons. Do the American people really think the policies of their country are going to bring about peace? We know that most of you are actually really seeking the abolition of nuclear weapons. We should all unite to bring peace to the world." Mayor Itoh also addressed citizens of the United States. He said "We understand your anger and anxiety over the memories of the horror of the 9/11 terrorist attacks. Yet, is your security enhanced by your government’s policies of maintaining 10,000 nuclear weapons?"

http://www.democracynow.org/article.pl?sid=05/08/09/143207

I don't believe that's strictly a 'yes' or 'no' answer.

Generally, I have faith in our nuclear triad against threats like the former Soviet Union and in cases such as North Korea.

But, there are many other things to consider, such as balance of power and dealing with rational governments as opposed to terrorist groups.