Climbing around Portland

scheissami

Hey, I just moved to Portland and have only been climbing a short while. I've been to Broughton, but the area seems to have only a few easier routes (<5.9-5.10 bolted or <5.8 trad), mostly more moderate stuff. Does anyone have suggestions for some areas around here without having to drive down to Smith?

Cheers.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

beacon rocks is the best shit in the area, though its about 45 minutes from p-town. beacon, though as replete w/ hard climbs as all the other pdx crags, actually has quite a few easy climbs in the 5.7 range

it won't open for another few weeks though

Beacon Rock is some of the best climbing in Oregon. (I say that to tweak my Washingtonian brothers like Ivan who nailed this response already)

Trad skills are required almost exclusivly. Walking on the south side looking up at 200 foot plus high splitter finger and hand cracks still makes me moist.

Opens Sunday. Your mileage may vary, tax, license, dealer prep may be optional.

Sorry dude, I just re-read your post - you are looking for easier stuff.

I'm sorry. Beacon is really mostly harder stuff. The one 5.6 I know out there will kill you if you don't pro it correctly and scares almost every 5.8 leader who gets on it (Boardwalk).

J kirby answered it correctly. Try Horsethief for a wide variety of TR, (R Butte is harder stuff although you can boulder on top), Smith is the next best, then Broughtons. Theres a little bolted wall in Lake Oswego that might interest your for 20 min or so.

• 8 months later...
http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?ovi...v5N51l02SOgo%3d

Take Country club turn S on Iron Mt, head to North shore blvd Cabana. Park at that space right at the RR tracks (Union Pacific on the map). Look west @ 1/2 a city block right down the tracks, theres a little bolted rat hole right there.

Thanks John! thumbs_up.gif

Rat hole? I'll take cheese as pro.