gas in oregon

kyladycaver

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have sources; cause I'm too lazy to search. wink.gif

Basically glass is heated up sand. It takes the same energy to heat sand as it does to truck used bottles back to the glass factory and melt them down to turn them into new bottles. Furthermore since glass is sand it isn't going to leach anything nasty into the aquafer under the dump.

If they made bottles to be reused instead or melted down then ther would be an energy savings; but they don't.

hmm.

* Recycled glass saves 50% energy vs. virgin glass (Center for Ecological Technology); recycling of one glass container saves enough energy to light a 100-watt bulb for 4 hours (EPA)

* Recycled glass generates 20% less air pollution and 50% less water pollution (NASA)

* 1 ton of glass made from 50% recycled materials saves 250 lbs. of mining waste (EPA)

* Glass can be reused an infinite number of times; over 41 billion glass containers are made each year (EPA)

starting to resemble Fairweather in your accuracy the_finger.gif

Kurt, you risk the weekly CBS Award for stupidest comment on cc.com. I think you're wrong and a little online research seems to confirm this.

It's not just about energy costs to reuse materials, it is the cost (to the environment) to use up stuff and not reuse it. If your energy problem were the only problem there wouldn't be much point in recycling anything (paper, aluminum, metal in general, plastic).

Good god. The only thing dumber than the gas law is people who get bent out of shape over it. "mommy, please can I have my hands smell like gasoline and stand outside in the wind? Please?"

yelrotflmao.gif

so true. it's not any more expensive so why the heck not have someone pump your gas and clean your windshield????

someone at a gas station told me that the law was passed to protect jobs. confused.gif

i still have yet to pump my own gas. when i go to washington i stand by my car and look helpless and someone will pump my gas for me wink.gif

I don't have sources; cause I'm too lazy to search. wink.gif

Basically glass is heated up sand. It takes the same energy to heat sand as it does to truck used bottles back to the glass factory and melt them down to turn them into new bottles. Furthermore since glass is sand it isn't going to leach anything nasty into the aquafer under the dump.

If they made bottles to be reused instead or melted down then ther would be an energy savings; but they don't.

hmm.

* Recycled glass saves 50% energy vs. virgin glass (Center for Ecological Technology); recycling of one glass container saves enough energy to light a 100-watt bulb for 4 hours (EPA)

* Recycled glass generates 20% less air pollution and 50% less water pollution (NASA)

* 1 ton of glass made from 50% recycled materials saves 250 lbs. of mining waste (EPA)

* Glass can be reused an infinite number of times; over 41 billion glass containers are made each year (EPA)

starting to resemble Fairweather in your accuracy the_finger.gif

Yet we have this quote from Recycling Today:

MATERIALS PROCESSED

A second major trend is that facilities are taking a hard look at the materials that they process, striving to achieve a high quality recovered stream. In some cases, separate paper MRFs have been established. In part, this reflects optimism from 1995 with respect to revenues from recycled paper, but it also reflects the notion that separating high quality streams from more contaminated commingled containers will result in greater access to tighter markets. There is also increased reliance on automation to separate the fiber stream.

In addition, much attention is being devoted to the problematic glass stream, with its high processing cost and low market value. Some MRFs are investing in equipment to achieve better color separation and to reduce unusable residue, while others are searching for alternative uses. Others have dropped glass from curbside collection.

Source

I believe the problem is that glass takes so much energy to process before you remelt it that the energy equasion is neutral. I'm sure if you have a source of washed and sorted glass then recycling does make sense, however human nature doesn't work that way.

Besides I didn't come up with this idea from listening to a program on FOX news smirk.gif quite the opposite I heard this on a program funded by Fairweather's dreaded liberal ellite. blush.gif

Klenke

The answer to your statement is to try and not be a wastefull consumer in the first place.

Edited by AlpineK

Layoff the pot dude.

If they made bottles to be reused instead or melted down then ther would be an energy savings; but they don't

Isn't the same as:

with its high processing cost and low market value

Note none of the points I posted referred to cost savings; they referred to environmental benefits of reduced energy consumption and pollution.

Note none of the points I posted referred to cost savings; they referred to environmental benefits of reduced energy consumption and pollution.

There is a direct correlation between cost of a process and energy use. It costs more to drive your Hummer to Smith than it does to drive your Prius.

There is a direct correlation between cost of a process and energy use. It costs more to drive your Hummer to Smith than it does to drive your Prius.

Bullshit. Energy consumption & cost are not intrinsically linked.

What part of

Recycled glass saves 50% energy vs. virgin glass

don't you understand of accept?

I would think that the mining and transportation costs of manufacturing new bottles would be higher than recycling old. Also although I don't know how to quantify the costs, it seems that there are costs due to loss of land due to mining and waste disposal. After all the materials don't just appear at the factory door and disappear when we throw them in the trash.

What about the environmental cost of the methane produced by the cows that fed the miner the mined the sand, which was put on a truck to the glass factory where glass was produced, then turned into a bottle which was shipped to a filling factory to be filled then sent to a distribution warehouse then sent to a store and picked up by joe consumer and brought to his house where he then took it to the beach with him and drank it and put it in a recycling bin where it was picked up and driven the rest of the route in the back of a truck and brought to a transfer station where it was then shipped on another truck to the recycler where it was separated ground and remelted and on and on and on and on....

my that gets expensive. It is amazing we can buy a Coke and the bottle for less than a buck!!!!

Higher quality, reusable bottles. Jesus people, a third world country has it's shit together better than we do (it's true in a lot of ways).

New bottle:

pilsenersm.jpg

Bottle "recycled" probably at least 100 times:

pilsener2sm.jpg

That's Reusing not Recycling.