Freakin’ Liberals!!!!

Peter_Puget

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Liberal justices; Breyer, Ginsberg, Stevens, Souter all sided with government's right to sieze private homes to generate more tax $$$.

Conservative justices; Scalia, Thomas, Renquist, O'Connor all sided with the citizen's right to keep their homes.

It doesn't get any clearer to me. Liberals = big, intrusive government and fewer personal rights. 'Progressive' means a new WalMart or high-rise condo where my home used to be.

Liberal justices; Breyer, Ginsberg, Stevens, Souter all sided with government's right to sieze private homes to generate more tax $$$.

Conservative justices; Scalia, Thomas, Renquist, O'Connor all sided with the citizen's right to keep their homes.

It doesn't get any clearer to me. Liberals = big, intrusive government and fewer personal rights. 'Progressive' means a new WalMart or high-rise condo where my home used to be.

So what'd you think when Texas condemned private land to build the baseball park for the Rangers that dear W was in charge of?

Yeah, this sucks. WTF else is new. The Rehnquist court specializes in giving people the shaft. When it isn't passing the buck.

"The Rehnquist court"?? Nice try, cj. But the idealogical divisions were clear here, and each justice had exactly one vote. True colors revealed. This entire thread clearly demonstrates the obfuscation, excuses, and dodges so common on your side of the political fence. Why not just say it? "My liberal justices got it wrong. This is an outrage brought on by judicial activist liberals who promote a 'living, breathing' constitution."

C'mon, cj! I'll show you! ... "My Republican friends are wrong about flag burning! It is a constitutionally protected right."

See? It's easy!

"The Rehnquist court"?? Nice try, cj. But the idealogical divisions were clear here, and each justice had exactly one vote. True colors revealed. This entire thread clearly demonstrates the obfuscation, excuses, and dodges so common on your side of the political fence. Why not just say it? "My liberal justices got it wrong. This is an outrage brought on by judicial activist liberals who promote a 'living, breathing' constitution."

eh, did I ever say the liberal jurors didn't fuck up? They did. Strict constitutionalism is an even bigger pile of shit. Divining meaning from 200 year old texts. What's next, divining meaning from 2000 year old texts? Oh, thats right, the nut cases think you can do that, too.

To atone for my previous sin I gave the Reagan library the finger as I drove past, not once, but twice today.

Ahhh yes, it was liberals who created the single largest bureaucracy in america: Homeland Security. It was liberals who challenged individual states rights.

Agreed the liberal justices got it wrong and this decision is flat out wrong. To say that liberals are responsible for big government in modern america is laughable.

This reminds me of a case in Bremerton where the city told a 75 year old widow they needed her property to expand a sewer plant. She didn't want to sell, but they threatened to condemn it so she agreed to sell it for $135k. Within the span of 2 years, instead of expanding the sewer plant, the city rezoned and cleared the land, then sold it to Par Ford to build their new dealership. Selling price? $2,000,000.

I frankly don't know how the people on the city council there can sleep at night.

Related article http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:--T7X...lient=firefox-a

Another great example of how 'liberal' vs. conservative dichcotomy obscures more than it clarifies. How exactly does does the siezure of individual property for infrastructural developments that benefit private capital and further capitalist growth represent progressive or "liberal" decision-making? Apart from the usual lame "big guvermint" reactionary gibberish, nothing.

In fact,the foundation of neocon politics is wielding state power to enact policies that benefit capital, see Social Security crisis. This is in partial distinction to neoliberals messianic faith in markets.

Others on this post have provided numerous examples that show that conservative judges don't give a shit about the little guy. The real fear on the part of "conservative" judges is that such rulings might undermine the foundations of class power: private property. Of course, they really don't have anything to fear since the "liberals" are acting on behalf of of capital's need for state intervention to develop infrastucture.

did anyone see the words, "to acquire the remainder of the property from unwilling owners in exchange for JUST COMPENSATION."

Does "just compensation" in this case mean "higher than market value" for this incident becuase it is for private purposes? Usually in emminent domain for public projects the property owner receives market value. I would be curious to know if in this case "just compensation" exceeds market value due to privatization.

It's always a formula on market value - though if you can show a difference via your own apprasial you have room for negoiation.

Souter's record is a solid moderate conservative, Renquist is more right, Scalia is just plain wacko, and Thomas is his lap dog.

I was surprised that E.D. was upheld for this case as there have been some shaky processes recently concerning "redevelopment". I think it would have been a very big deal to tweak E.D. and the ruling majority just thought it wasn't worth it.

Fairweather and PP, I agree with you. This realization gives me new hope for the future of America. Perhaps the five justices, in their wisdom, are simply acting to unify our country, by making a ruling that liberals and conservatives will both love to hate. I'm curious to hear from both camps: do you, or any of your friends, support the court's decision? Every single person I've talked to so far has been disgusted.

It will be interesting to see the liberals and conservatives engage in this argument: conservatives will see government as the enemy in land seizures for the sake of private development, while liberals will not blame government directly, rather they will see government as shill to the real evil-- big greedy corporations. Who's right? IMO, both are.