No Coffee

Dru

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, right.

I was thinking mate de coco or something like that. I drank tea that was way better than coffee, and chewed the unused tea leaves while holding a little bitter chunk of a base-catalyst in my mouth. I hiked farther than I ever have in my life.

But I'd be willing to try crack too if that would help...

I just want to see if I can do it.. since my normal daily coffee intake is 4 cups of dark roast and three espressos, i forget what its like to go without coffee, or what the first cup tastes like after going a long time without.

wazzup.gif

Edited by jordop

I think you are mistaking yerba mate for crack

not crack, but it bears a strong resemblance to another illicit substance. Not as good to wake up, but damn nice in the afternoon mate is. Down south you see people hiking with Thermos, cup & bombilla. In Uruguay they can't even go to the grocery store without it hellno3d.gif

I decaffinated mysef several years ago. Didn't touch the stuff, but keep a doube shot espresso can in my pack if I started to fade on a climb. I worked. It also worked on the drive home. But slowy I find mysef sliding back, sure like them mochas every now and then.

Why? Health reasons?

Anyone who engages in a fair alpine/trad/ice climbing can probably assume that excessive caffeine intake is the least dire of all possible threats to one's longevity.

whether or not you climb n' shit, it's pretty low on the relative-danger-scale, compared to most addictive things. i've talked to a few different doctors about this very topic, thru-out the years. all said that you have to drink a LOT of coffee (like 10+ cups a day) to even begin to approach the level of it being a health risk.

I think one said that the rule of thumb was: as long as the level of intake isn't curbing appetite enough to where you could risk anorexia..... you're OK. cheeburga_ron.gif