Summer. Fuckineh.

Squid

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The solstice has nothing to do with how close we are to the sun. It's a function of the tilt of the planet relative to the suns location. At the solstice, the axis of rotation is parallel to the orbital path. During the Northern Hemispheres winter the North Poles end of the axis points away from the sun, and during our summer it points towards the sun.

Perigee and Apogee (when the planet is closest and furtherst away from the sun.) are something else entirely.

Though I don't know if were getting closer or further away at the moment smile.gif

Really, or do you mean solstice has nothing to do with our seasons but our seasons are related to tilt, and do you mean perigee is another way of saying we are closest to the sun and apogee is furthest away commonnly used terms when talking about sattelite orbits.

rolleyes.gif

Please take this 'I am so smart' crap somewhere else.

School is not in session. This is the thread about slip-n-slides, tank-tops, space helmets, new tats, and dumb stunts. If you want to sound smart, this is not the thread.

asked a simple question, your buddy replies with apogee and perigee shit

21st century and you dont know if we are getting closer to or further away from the sun, thats just plain ignorant, nothing to do with being smart

The sun orbits the earth dumbshit. It comes up every morning in the east and goes down in the west.

Didn't like Aristole prove that 45 million years ago while riding on a brontosaurus and talking to Wilma and Fred Flintstone at Stonehenge. That Galileo was all phucked up when he sailed off da edge of da world. Next you are going to tell us that the world isn't flat.

Why the hell has my eyelid been twitching for weeks now? Do I need Botox?

My eyelid(s) twitched a lot my senior year of my Physics program. Could be all that information in your brain is causing a build up of excess knowledge, thus translating into electrical charge and trying to leak out through your eyelids because the knowledge sees light up near the eyeball region. Seems plausible.

Really, or do you mean solstice has nothing to do with our seasons but our seasons are related to tilt, and do you mean perigee is another way of saying we are closest to the sun and apogee is furthest away commonnly used terms when talking about sattelite orbits.

rolleyes.gif

asked a simple question, your buddy replies with apogee and perigee shit

21st century and you dont know if we are getting closer to or further away from the sun, thats just plain ignorant, nothing to do with being smart

jmace, I'm not sure if you're just an antagonist, or a high school moron who just finished his first astronomy class. Regardless, the knowledge you so boastfully share in no way reflects on the state of the 21st century educational condition. It is not what I would consider common.

http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/misc/seasons.html

Note that while apogee and parigee are not technically correct, they are commonly used. Aphelion and pehiphelion are more appropriately used for the eccentricity in the earth's orbital path around the sun. So what?

Hey Fairweather the_finger.gif

I never asked about earths orbit or its ecentricity or anything I asked wher the sun is and your reply is that its not common knowledge, and that I am an antagonist, holy fuck do you know what ADD is maybe thats why you didnt make it past the 10th grade and missed your astronomy class

PS, maybe I should talk in language you are more famialar with: can I get a coke and fries with that?

as we approach the solstice is the Sun getting closer to us or further away from us?

Jmace,

your poll is fucked. The solstice is related to the earth's tilt, not the distance from the sun. The earth reaches perihelion in January and aphelion in July. Whereas the solstices are in December and June. It is interesting that they are both yearly cycles though. I don't know why that is. Anyone?

wave.gif

whatever, maybe its confusing then, I just aked if we were getting closer or further away not THE furthest away but whatever, we are getting further away from the sun,

Im out, friday and Im off for the weekend see you in squish

No shit? rolleyes.gif

But why is the tilt of the axis related to the yearly orbit?

p.s.

Please take this 'I am so smart' crap somewhere else.

School is not in session. This is the thread about slip-n-slides, tank-tops, space helmets, new tats, and dumb stunts. If you want to sound smart, this is not the thread.

Poor Squidly, all he wanted was pictures of hot chicks in bikinis and here we are gettin' all geeky on his thread. Poooooor Squidly.

cry.gif

Here ya go buddy:

microbikini.jpg

I think I am at perihelion!

Edited by Alpinfox