Guns make you safe!

Dr_Flash_Amazing

Yeah, but the 18th century was a different age, technologically speaking.

Your .22s or .45s or whatever won't do much against the black helicopters full of jackbooted thugs armed with assault weapons and such. Or nuclear bombs.

Which isn't to say I disagree with your underlying premise about freedom being something that you have to fight for - just that practically speaking, peashooters probably don't do all that much to preserve our liberty.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Riiiiigghhhhhtttt. . .guerilla warfare is of course best supported with Nukes.

I would venture to guess that there are enough privately owned assault weapons to easily wreak havoc. Never underestimate the ability of a few motivated individuals with small arms. Practically speaking, 'peashooters' probably have a great deal to do with preservation of liberty. Any force contemplating invasion of the US has to take into account the massive amount of weaponry close at hand. It also serves as a constant reminder to those in government that the citizenry has the potential to take back that which they gave.

Guns do make you safe.

I have a gun, I took safety courses, and I know how to use it. I've never once shot it, and I've only pulled it out once. I live by myself, out in the boonies, and these bastards come up to my door, in a big ol scarey looking jeep. I was upstairs, it was summer, I looked out my window and asked how I could help them. They asked me where my husband was. I lied, I'm not married, but I was getting a really icky feeling about the situation so I said he ran to the lumber store. They they proceeded to try and break down my door. I asked them what they wanted. They smiled...and continued to try to break in my house. I told them I'd make it easier on them...give me a minute and I'd open the door for them. Meanwhile..I go get my gun, under my bed....and they start yelling for me to get my ass out there..bla bla bla. I poke my head out and ask them one last time..what they wanted...they replied..what the hell took you so long, and why wasn't I down unlocking the door. I said..what took me so long? I pointed the gun at them and said...I always call the cops before I shoot someone....

They got the hell out of my property so fast. I've never had any problems since then.

so I believe guns original purpose was for food...back in the day, then safety, and I still use mine for safety. But I also know that there are some idiots out in this world that abuse any power they have.

Wow, I swear I didn't put Dru up to pitch that one!

Yes Dru, Mao WAS a framer, he helped frame the Chinese consitution, which

A) doesn't allow gun ownership among the population.

B) doesn't allow political FREEDOM either. Hell, even surfing the wrong web site or posting an opinion to a blog can wind you up in a re-education camp.

Obviously your Mao quote shows the linkage Mao knew existed between firearm ownership and political freedom.

Thank you for the prima facie evidence.

Gracias dude for closing the arguement out in a logical manner: the only posts which follow this one and opposing the gun ownership position will now be like braying Donkee noises: loud, but lacking substance.

laugh.gif

Bill

dood..the cops in my area are completely worthless. I've had the sails stolen of my sailboat, and a wallet left behind. The cops said it had to be a set up..no one's dumb enough to leave a wallet behind.

Yup, got the license plate, a picture of the jeep, etc. I did call the cops...they stated they'd increase thier patrols of the neighborhood. what a joke!!

They did get taken care of though.....

The increased patrols or did they track down the guys?

Great job keeping your head and getting, the pics, license plate, and running them off, BTWthumbs_up.gif

Does anyone know: Can Marie shoot at those guys in that situation, in Wa State and not have any legal fall out? In Colorado, under the "Make My Day Law" she could have shot them dead for threatening her on her property. The burden of proof would have been on them or their families if they felt it was a wrongful shooting.

Good for you Marie! Your the kind of people I want owning a gun.

Responsible, safe, and intelligent.

Me? I'd probably shoot myself in the ass since I have no idea what i'm doing, I don't want me owning a gun.

Now, very serious question. Would a background check, a short waiting period, mandatory safety classes, or a requirement that cars, or airplanes, oops I mean guns be provided with trigger locks have made a difference?

The big difference between guns and climbing is that i'm not very likely to kill anyone other than me and my climbing partner if I screw up a cam placement, and it's his own damn fault for climbing with me.

Big things that can kill other people are another story.

Marie, good for you. Sounds like you really kept your head.

I have very little experience with guns, but I intend to purchase a handgun in the near future. I want to do it right, so I took a gun safety class with hands-on experience at the range. I highly recommend taking a class to anyone that wants to get comfortable with them. I still want to get more range time before I make the purchase, but I know what to do and not to do now, and I'm comfortable both shooting one and being near them when others are shooting. It made a world of difference.

That's a grim tale Marie, I'm glad it turned out well. MtnGoat (am I the only person who misses that guy?) had a similar event with his wife thwarting a home invasion with her gun, even had to fire it if I recall correctly. That was the first time I heard of that kind of event from someone I "knew."

Speaking for myself, in 47 years I've never had an occasion where I wished I had a gun, or been in a situation where it would be helpful. On the otherhand, my friend Mickey Judge shot his younger brother Jamie to death through the bathroom door while playing a chase game with daddy's revolver. Both were in my Boy Scout troop, and I recall walking home from school that day with ambulance and cop car racing past me, wondering what had happened. My nephew Gabe also blinded his (former) best friend in one eye with a pellet gun, fortunately not with anything more powerful.

I've always chosen not to have a gun in my house, and in years gone by I've had a few prickly conversations with the parents of my son Ben's friends regarding just what weapons they had in their house and how they chose to store them. Ben is 23 now, and I've just returned from his college graduation. At least one of the students in his rural Washington high school won't be graduating anything, ever, having used a family gun to make a dramatic exit. The single biggest thing you can do to increase the chance that you or a family member will die by gunfire is to own a gun. It is, thankfully, a free country, and each of you can make your own decision on the issue and act accordingly.

It is, thankfully, a free country, and each of you can make your own decision on the issue and act accordingly.

Unless you live in one of the many communities that have made gun ownership mandatory whereby anyone who doesn't own a gun isn't allowed to vote. So you either give up your right to think for yourself, or give up your right to have a say.

Freedom's on the march! fruit.gif