[TR] The Mole- West Face 5/22/2005

gyselinck

Climb: The Mole-West Face

Date of Climb: 5/22/2005

Trip Report:

Cook, Longpause, and I worked a route up the W. Face of the mole on Saturday, May 22. I had no route information, thus followed lines of weakness. I can’t compare our route to any descriptions in Beckey book. At first I thought we did the 1948 route, but looking back it doesn’t match either. If anyone has any good topos of the W. Face I would love to see them. Climbing was stiff and complicated, estimated crux pitch was 5.11 (A0). I think we did 8 or so pitches. The route contained nice cracks and run out slabs. Weather came in complicating matters. It snowed almost all day, strong winds, low visibility, very cold. After getting off The Mole we got lost in thick clouds and descended the wrong gully and headed over a mile in the wrong direction. We had stashed our bags and all our extra gear at Mesa Lake, but ended up way down Rat Creek. We finally found our way back in the dark, during a snowstorm and found our packs around 4:00 in the morning. Ended up being a 20 hour day, we were wet and cold.

6146mole-med.jpg

The Mole showing W. Face

6146route1-med.jpg

Somewhere on the W. Face.

6146rap-med.jpg

L0ngpause descending, nice and dry.

Gear Notes:

60m rope, small rock rack made shorter pitches but there would be rope drag anyway, ice axe

Approach Notes:

Toketie Creek, though I recomend going up Rat Creek, watch for ticks

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad you guys managed to have fun without me...thats ok, work was MUCH better than going up the mole.Seriously though, nice work to all of you. You know it's been a good climb when Longpause spends all of the next day sleeping on the couch and Cook's feet look like they belong on cadavers. Gyselinck, you keep this up and you might get more visits from some pretty awesome super heros!

More climbing pictures..

Spooning Cook is neither, however Lyger's homemade berry pie on return is kick ass! rockband.gif

Bright and sunny on the way in

6509P1010028-med.JPG

Rat creek group behind. & Cook trying to kill me for eating all the hotdogs.

6509P1010034-med.JPG

I think this is either shrew or crocodile fang? so pretty. .

6509P1010039-med.JPG

me traversing some unknown pitch, it was a nice pitch.

6509P1010060-med.JPG

Cook coming up some unknown pitch, and rat creek in the background

6509P1010040-med.JPG

I wish I had some of Lyger's berry pie, hmmmm, pie is good.

6509P1010065-med.JPG

That's pretty cool! Nice goin, looks like y'all had some fun. 5.11 A0...that;s skills. glad you didn't get stabbed, you must have some flippin sweet reflexes.

i'm curious about the 8 pitches. how tall is the route? i always thought that the Mole was like 3 pitches. maybe i need to take it off the do'nt bother list!

gracias

Longpause, that is The Shrew, Croc Fang isn't visible from there.

Layton, keep it on your "don't bother list" there isn't any good stone up there it's all short, contrived, and crowded. It's super obvious from the road that nothing up there could possibly be more than three pitches. rolleyes.gif

That's pretty cool! Nice goin, looks like y'all had some fun. 5.11 A0...that;s skills.

I didn't mean 5.11 A0, I said 5.11 (A0). I don't hike 5.11 in cold wet snowy blizzards. I pulled on gear up the 11 section. Consisted of a crack going over an overhanging roof onto face climbing. Cook and L0ngpause prusiked up it. I don't have any pics of it, but just thought I would clarify.

Layton, unless you like waiting in lines, don't go there, way to crowded.

Longpause, that is The Shrew, Croc Fang isn't visible from there.

Layton, keep it on your "don't bother list" there isn't any good stone up there it's all short, contrived, and crowded. It's super obvious from the road that nothing up there could possibly be more than three pitches. rolleyes.gif

moon.gif

i'm curious about the 8 pitches. how tall is the route? i always thought that the Mole was like 3 pitches. maybe i need to take it off the do'nt bother list!

gracias

Yeah, for sure not 8 full pitches, it was more like making a pitch wherever a nice ledge was. Yeah, I agree, don't go it was sooo boring. yellowsleep.gif