WA Pass Camping?

PaulB

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Making my first trip to WA Pass this weekend. What are the options for camping in the area? When do restaurants in Mazama shut down at night?

Most crash at Blue Lake Trailhead. As people arrive all night (like those driving all the way from PDX cry.gif) it tends to be on the noisy side (if you are a light sleeper). Other quieter options include the scenic look out (across the street) or at the hairpin turn just past the pass crest.

There are no restaurants in Mazama. Just a coffee shop/general store that closes much earlier than you will finish climbing. Another 20 minutes or so will put you in Wintrop where restaurants tend to stay open later (depends on whether or not "summer hours" are in effect). I have had good luck at the pub.

FYI: the night time speeding limit for deer is strictly enforced. thumbs_down.gifthumbs_down.gifthumbs_down.gifcry.gif

The Klipchuck campground is several miles down the east side of the pass, but it is on a semi-sunny south facing slope and in a forest of Ponderosa Pines. As long as you don't mind camping next to family groups and such, in my opinion it is a much more pleasant place to camp than anywhere up on the pass.

The early winters campground (near mazama) is sweet. Cool creek (the early winter creek of course) near your spot. (re: cold beers) Water from spigot. $5/night.

Not sure about the enforcement of the driving limit at night. But only a insane crackfiend from seattle would drive fast on that road. The place is littered with deer carcasses. (slight exageration)

Winthrop has a pub/restaurant just north of the only interestion with good chili. I forget the name but it tasty and outside seating and good beer. Worth the drive and danger.

• 1 month later...
Oh yeah... I recommend the scenic overlook for camping as it has running water... though a no camping sign is posted so be discreet.

There is no running water at the scenic overlook right now -- June 27. The sign says "water turned off for the winter."

i've stayed at the lone pine/fir/big ass tree campground. running water etc. you do have to deal with families but if you're just in it for a bivy no big deal. it's $5 but not heavily patrolled. if you get up early no problem w/the fee.

my vote is also for Klipchuck.

We stayed at Klipchuck, which was great. thumbs_up.gif Thanks for the recommendations.

Forest Pass for the trail head.

Is this only required for trailheads? Do you need one if you're just parked at a pullout like at MP 165?