jordop

How to make MEAD

10 lbs honey

Big pot

plastic food bin with a fermentation lock (about $10 altogether)

wine yeast

Boil honey and water in a big pot. Cool. Pour into bucket. Add yeast. Affix lid. Transfer after two weeks to another bucket. Add some sugar and put it into bottles. Age for a few months and THEN mushsmile.gifmushsmile.gifmushsmile.gif

So it costs about $50 and you get about 70 bottles of ~12% alc stuff fruit.gif

I don't know why no brewing company sells mead these days confused.gif It's frickin awesome, after a few months of aging it takes like a fine champagne. Way cheaper and easier than making beer from scratch too thumbs_up.gif

I was cleaning out my basement last month and found a bottle from a batch I had made ten years ago in university rockband.gifrockband.gif

Edited by jordop

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah but mead is GOOD. Any you don't go AS blind as Cisco bigdrink.gif

You can make plonk out of any refined sugar.

When I was 15:

"So, I can't buy booze from the liquor store, but I can buy malt extract and yeast from the grocery store."

"Yeah, but we can just get so-and-so's brother to buy booze for us."

"Fuck off, this is more fun." tongue.gif

Edited by jordop

"last month"

"found A bottle"

You really think he has any left? yellaf.gif

Never fear, a new batch is on the way! Cooked it up on an a combo XGK/Whisperlite this morning grin.gif Come summer there'll be mead flowin in WA Pass like it's fuckin Valhalla or somethin tongue.gif

How to make MEAD

10 lbs honey

Big pot

plastic food bin with a fermentation lock (about $10 altogether)

wine yeast

Boil honey and water in a big pot. Cool. Pour into bucket. Add yeast. Affix lid. Transfer after two weeks to another bucket. Add some sugar and put it into bottles. Age for a few months and THEN mushsmile.gifmushsmile.gifmushsmile.gif

So it costs about $50 and you get about 70 bottles of ~12% alc stuff fruit.gif

I don't know why no brewing company sells mead these days confused.gif It's frickin awesome, after a few months of aging it takes like a fine champagne. Way cheaper and easier than making beer from scratch too thumbs_up.gif

I was cleaning out my basement last month and found a bottle from a batch I had made ten years ago in university rockband.gifrockband.gif

How much water/lbs of honey?

Even easier is hard cider.

My favorite variation is this:

3 gallons of apple juice from the grocery store

1 gallon of pear juice

sweeten to taste if desired (honey works well for this)

champagne yeast

toss in a little fresh ginger if you like it

ferment 10 days.

wave the magic wand over it after bottling, and VOILA!! a pear-apple beverage that tastes remarkably like a very dry apple champagne.

How much water/lbs of honey?

10lbs honey/5 gallons water gives about 9% alcohol.

I have never seen mead for sale in Canuckmenistan. I'll have to pick some up next trip south.

Been gettin some sweet booze from Grocery Outlet lately the_finger.gif Is there anything that place AINT good for rockband.gif

I am looking for my "peaches wine" recipie... basically you put two or three cans of peaches in a bucket with some water and yeast, put a board over top to keep the snaffles out, and put it behind the woodstove for a week

I am looking for my "peaches wine" recipie... basically you put two or three cans of peaches in a bucket with some water and yeast, put a board over top to keep the snaffles out, and put it behind the woodstove for a week

All for that prison ambiance!

Actually, if you just want to get drunk, an alcohol enema will reportedly do the trick, for a fraction of the amount you would have to drink to get that wasted. In fact, since you can't puke out the excess, it's a good way to kill yourself from alcohol poisoning if you use too much!

The problem with any fermentation is sanitation. Airborne yeasts are much quicker to attenuate/activate than any dehydrated yeast you are going to add -- especially true with any fruit, which is basically a pile of natural yeast.

Actually, it takes about a year for anything made with honey or fruit to really settle out and not taste green. On the other hand, a standard ale with ~4% alc can be quite drinkable in 3-4 weeks bigdrink.gif

From the Sky River Mead website: "Current Washington State liquor control laws prevent us from identifying specific locations where you can find our wines. However, we have endeavored to make Sky River Mead available at most fine retail wine shops and supermarkets in Washington State."

WTF. Alcohol laws are incredibly pointless stupid. You can't say where someone can buy your product? Are kidding me?!