Exit 38: Stolen Hangars on The Gritscone

catbirdseat

I visited the Gritscone yesterday for the first time since last summer and discovered that someone had stolen almost all the hangars on all the routes rated 5.9 or easier. About 5 routes and about 15-20 bolts were affected. It's a shame, because The Gritscone is a great place for people learn to lead for the first time.

I'm hoping to organize an effort to replace the hangars.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

are most of the bolts there wedge bolts (where you see threads sticking out of the rock) or sleeve bolts (where you see a hex-head)? With the wedge bolts you can always just mash up the threads. Sleeve bolts will probably have to be glued in?

Exit 38 is a great place for bolted climbs. Everything is relatively consolidated into a small area, a nice outdoor gym. In regards to gritscone, the routes aren't very high, it's a bouldering area. That could be why the bolts were pulled. Also, sometimes people want to feel badass, so they're assholes to everyone else, an ego thing. Marking hangers is a good idea, but in situations like this I doubt the hangers are stolen for other climbs. Chances are they are not putting up new climbs, just satisfying their ego. Most likely they end up in the dump. Don't let a few ruin it for the rest of us. Put em' back up. thumbs_up.gif

PS. That guy in that picture needs to pull up his pants. moon.gif

Ther are two reasons I mark my hangers

1: To deter hanger thieves

2:As I have stated before I will pull myself any unjustly placed bolts I have put in.

CBS your a right on guy... it is a lot more work doing good than spray'n

The best way I have found to stop hanger thieves is to cut the end of the wedge anchor with a hack saw , place the hanger on the bolt, than when you hammer it in, it will smash the head stopping hanger removal, except by sawing off the head.

If you are willing to do the work ,I will hook you up with some hardware and a drill.

Good luck

LUCKY

are most of the bolts there wedge bolts (where you see threads sticking out of the rock) or sleeve bolts (where you see a hex-head)? With the wedge bolts you can always just mash up the threads. Sleeve bolts will probably have to be glued in?
They are all wedge bolts. Whoever put up the routes failed to mash up the threads.

...gritscone, the routes aren't very high, it's a bouldering area...
The routes are so easy that no self-respecting boulderer would bother with them. They were put there specifically for beginners. Edited by catbirdseat

Thats a shame they were stolen. I was out there last weekend and they were intact. It's a great beginer area. The bolts are excellent to teach a fledging leader even if all the routes go fine with just a crash pad to a veteran.

The bolts on the crack route should come down though.

___

I spoke with Garth Bruce, author of the Exit 38 Guide. He said hanger theft is an ongoing problem at the Far Side. He's already bought the replacement hangers and will install them on Monday, come rain or come shine. thumbs_up.gif

Next time you see Garth, thank him for me. Gritscone is a great place to take new leaders, and people who steal hangers should be taken out back and shot.

I'm not sure about 38, but at other areas where I have opened routes, dudes will often be a hanger or to short to finish their project for the weekend. They simply grab a hanger on one of their old routes and throw it on the new project with the intention of replacing it in a week or two. Unfortunately they never get replaced.

__

I just visited that area above the gun show slab a couple of weeks ago. The routes are very nice and well done. It is a great addition however the ratings on the Y.D.S.are the softest in U.S.?

I'm not sure about 38, but at other areas where I have opened routes, dudes will often be a hanger or to short to finish their project for the weekend. They simply grab a hanger on one of their old routes and throw it on the new project with the intention of replacing it in a week or two. Unfortunately they never get replaced.
Garth told me that at Gritscone, the bolts were placed with very little thread above the nut, making it very difficult to theft-proof the hangers. If it happens again, the bolts will be replaced with longer ones.

I just visited that area above the gun show slab a couple of weeks ago. The routes are very nice and well done. It is a great addition however the ratings on the Y.D.S.are the softest in U.S.?

Almost everyone I've spoken with agrees. The thing to do is to e-mail the guidebook author and tell him what you think they ought to be (Garth at info@northbendrock.com). I'm sure he'll be coming out with a revised edition at some time in the future. Perhaps he might even publish an addendum online that could be printed out for free. I'll bet he would.

I guess this post got deleted in the glitches too and I already typed it twice yesterday!! madgo_ron.gif

I was at Gritscone on Saturday and the only routes without hangers are the .7,.7, and .5 on the right side of the 'main wall'. The other routes to the left of those all had new (or old) hangers. I forgot to check on the 5.7 and .9 around the left side. yellowsleep.gif I saw some interesting characters out there... wazzup.gif

I live in Snoqualmie and frequently take new climbers out to the easier walls. Is there a place like Pro Ski that we could set-up a bolt fund (I know Valhalla Pure has one in Squamish) where people could drop in money to be picked up by Garth and others Martin knows are putting up routes? The money could be used for new routes or replacing rusted out hangers on older routes. Is this already being done? If so I'll happily contribute money. Just an idea.

Anyone who steals hangers should be ashamed. Karma will get these folks. If you see anyone doing this say something. I know I will.

Sansivera

i think that some special hangars may have been ordered to repair these routes. standard 3/8" -1/2" hangars didn't fit the existing bolts. some folks are definitely making the effort to get these routes fixed.

whoever did this thumbs_down.gifthumbs_down.gif

i'm not the biggest fan of bolts out there but dog knows i've clipped plenty of them. these were nice, short, easy beginner routes. great place to take firs timers and great, super positive place for first leads.