Excellent Winter volcano routes?

ryland_moore

In training for Denali, I want to get out a do some nice Winter volcano routes with potential for a ski descent. I know Gib Ledges is a good winter route on Rainier and want to do it (although will probably only ski down from Muir). But what other routes exist that are nice winter climbs? Hotlum-Bolum on Shasta? What about Baker?

The object is not for technical difficulty as will be climbing WB on Denali, but want deep snow, higher elevation stuff that can be accessed with skins - no rock - I will save ice climbing for other weekend trips. Time is also important as I will be taking off a month from work, so will have very little vacation days leading up to May. I would suspect Gib Ledges may take a long weekend. Any routes out there for winter to be completed over Friday night back on Sunday late? Thanks in advance you all. Thought I'd give you all a break from Spray on the other posts.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should not take more than a long weekend. Hit the trailhead Friday evening, get an alpine start and go for it. Should be able to make the exit at Bachelor late Sunday night. Travel fast and light. In springtime conditions its possible to do it in 24 hours. Wintertime the approach is longer (about 6 miles I think--Iain?).

That's a tough prospect in winter. You'd have to park back a ways on Pole Creek road and ski in to Pole Creek TH. The road is 10 miles but I don't know how far you can get up the thing in winter. It was at least a 3 mile approach to the TH in March. To head up the easy route on N. sister you'd have to almost circumnavigate the mountain via the se ridge, pick off the Middle Sister, ski the South ridge, and head up the N. ridge of South, then hump it back to Pole Creek. I'd probably want 3 days for that? really depends on Wx and new snow. (edited the time)

[ 11-13-2002, 04:48 PM: Message edited by: iain ]

quote:

Originally posted by rbw1966:

Hmmm. . .I seem to recall talking to someone who did it in a long weekend during the winter but I very well may be mistaken.

I'm sure there are plenty of folks out there who can do this. I would just not want to count on being back so soon in Winter out there.

Although it is not high altitude, I think the traverse that Lowell Skoog does by Big Snow at the end of the Mid Fork Snoq road is pretty good. Think about it. At the end, you could come back and do spend a day at Goldmeyer Hot Springs to message all your muscles. Lowell Skoog would have a buttful of options for you!

But of course, most of the options that he would give you as well as me.....would be in Washington....

[ 11-13-2002, 05:15 PM: Message edited by: Stefan ]

_____________________________________________________________Originaly posted by rbw1966: Also a good trip: circumnavigation of Mt. Hood during the winter. This is another on my list.[/QB]

This is so true . The trip is amazing!! [big Grin]

[ 11-13-2002, 08:29 PM: Message edited by: wayne1112 ]

West Cascades winter climbing on weekends is very, very difficult. The chances of reaching the right conditions (snowpack, weather) on a single pre-ordered summit day are nearly impossible except during the on-average 2 weeks of settled weather we may get every winter.

I would not touch a higher elevation climb (and most lower) with deep snow in it with a ten foot pole. You've got to stack the odds in your favor over the long term. You're better off planning on skiing every day you can and jumping at the opportunity to climb if conditions are right (or you can get the time off). That'll prepare you for Denali and it'll be fun.

quote:

Originally posted by Greg W:

quote:

Originally posted by j_b:

West Cascades winter climbing on weekends is very, very difficult.

Isn't that part of the lure? Sounds like Ryland is looking to up his suffer-tolerance. What better place to do that than the Cascades in winter?

He is referring to avy danger. If by suffer tolerance you mean suffocating to death under a few tons of snow then never mind.