• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
Anna

I've been humbled

To assist in the unoffical poll:

twit Pronunciation Key (twt)

tr.v. twit·ted, twit·ting, twits

To taunt, ridicule, or tease, especially for embarrassing mistakes or faults. See Synonyms at ridicule.

n.

The act or an instance of twitting.

A reproach, gibe, or taunt.

Slang. A foolishly annoying person.

And as far as the coddling bit goes TYRONE, you should go back and read a little. I believe all I have done is argue that if an anchor is so shaky that lowering on it is questionable I don't believe rappelling is a great idea, and that Anna work on gear placements from the ground with a critique from experienced climbers. If by "coddling" you mean not making her feel ashamed for her life-threatening errors, then I'm guilty, but question your usage of the term. I don't disagree with your opinion on the seriousness of Anna's recent experiences and the need for a sincere remedy, but I find your overweening braggart strut and bully bluster both offensive and counterproductive.

Hey Off,

I'm just trying to figure out which avatar is trask's: Chips or Tyrone? [big Grin] I am convinced he's playing out his very own good-guy/bad-guy on this thread. Shameless horndog...reminds me of that scene in Dumb and Dumber..."So you're sayin' there's a chance!" [laf]

Whoever Chips and Tyrone are, I think that their exaggerated stances have a kernal of honesty in them. Here we have already heard Anna express that she didn't hear warnings in the past...only positives from peers. Others suggest she wasn't listening. She also appears to want to get feedback that makes her feel better, if I read the beginning post correctly. I'm fanning the flames here, but her BBS personality appears to be as gung-ho and reckless as the Kerouac characters her post-script refers to. It's an interesting thread.

Thanks for the input RobBob. I've given up trying to decipher who is also someone else on this board, and I just treat 'em all as virtual split personalities with their own characteristics. Chips & Tyrone are not without their points, I'm just bitching about style and tone and the way we treat strangers.

Could you push that stepladder over here so I can get off this tall horse and take a moment to untwist my knickers? [laf]

Perhaps I don't have a good thermometer for the apparent politics of this board, but if you have an unpopular opinion to share why not share it under your "real" name rather than making up some nom de plume? If it's truly how you feel, why not just say it? [Confused] I don't care one way or the other, just curious.

quote:

Originally posted by iain:

Perhaps I don't have a good thermometer for the apparent politics of this board, but if you have an unpopular opinion to share why not share it under your "real" name rather than making up some nom de plume? If it's truly how you feel, why not just say it?
[Confused]
I don't care one way or the other, just curious.

Yeah all those Real names like Captain Caveman and FenceSitter and so on. [laf] I should never have used Dru but im unimaginative.

I've been away from the board for a couple of days and [Eek!] check out the length of this thread! Looks serious too [geek] .

Could somebody help me out here. Is this quarter K thread worth reading? [Confused][Razz]

quote:

Originally posted by iain:

Perhaps I don't have a good thermometer for the apparent politics of this board, but if you have an unpopular opinion to share why not share it under your "real" name rather than making up some nom de plume? If it's truly how you feel, why not just say it?
[Confused]
I don't care one way or the other, just curious.

Pick ONE frickin' name and stick with it through thick and thin. I figure if you have to hide to post some negitive or argumentative shit, you're not worth spit.

Hey ChucK,

I just saw it today too. Maybe it's just me, but I thought it was worth reading...charicature opinions are offered, insults are traded, feelings are hurt, but there are some important and worthwhile points made by several parties. [geek]

Well, think what you want about split personalities.

Personaly I couln't care less what you guys think in terms of who is who.

I hate to say it but OFFWHITE had a good point. You have to treat everyone independently.

If you respond to the posts, then no matter how you slice it, you care what others think of your ideas. Even if it's in the smallest way.

I enjoy my Anonymity, I can voice my opinion strong and how ever I want without holding back.

I don't care if you think I'm a prick.

Dru, thats your choice to use your name but, I bet you hold back your true ideas and thoughts a whole lot OR (and this my belief)

You have a whole other Avitar and name that does it for you.

What ever, it doesn't matter, I'll just stick to one guy.

Having said that, go ahead and assume I'm two or three or four or five people if you want. [smile]

With regards to Trask's statement:

quote:

Pick ONE frickin' name and stick with it through thick and thin. I figure if you have to hide to post some negitive or argumentative shit, you're not worth spit.

Thats a horseshit notion from the getgo. If you believe that then post your real name. I'd have more respect for ya.

In the mean time embrace your cloak of darkness like the rest of us, except DRU but you know what I think of that.

Listen up tyrone, you fuckstick, I post as trask. It's my nickname and has been for over 40 years. I use it for everything; when I'm nice, and when I'm mean. So go diddle yourself.

I'm way late to post on this, because the thread exploded in length last week and I didn't have time at work to keep up with it. No recent posts from Anna, who I imagine is sick and tired of taking a beating.

This subject is hugely important. However, it is just not possible to do it justice in a web discussion. Hats off to Tim and Jon-- there is almost always a kernel of wheat in this pile of chaff--but this thread, with people getting mistaken impressions, taking offense, etc. just points out how much of our important communication takes place nonverbally. When threads get too hot there should be some kind of steam valve that shuts it down, forcing people to communicate the old way.

Anna, most of all you should forgive yourself for making an error. You have every right to be shaken up. I know for myself that it's more upsetting to feel like I took risks with others who trusted me, and clearly you feel bad about this also. But you did not act in bad faith toward anyone. It's up to all members of a climbing party to scope each other out beforehand. It's not like you tried to deceive anybody, or told any lies about yourself.

You should also forgive yourself for asking the members of this forum for advice. This was the emotional equivalent of rapelling off of someone else's ratty old sling tied to a shallow-rooted bush. Very risky, and in this case you did not luck out. Words of criticism on this board come out sounding very harsh, even if they're not meant to. In my opinion, even if you give up climbing, you should first give yourself the chance to attain mastery of the systems involved. Take a course from a patient, nonabusive guide, or hang out with a few patient, tolerant non-professionals. If you walk away at that point, you'll feel a whole lot better than if you quit now, after getting beaten down by the voices of criticism that, however well intended, were unnecessarily harsh on you in this forum.

quote:

Originally posted by Tyrone Shoes:

With regards to Trask's statement:

quote:

Thats a horseshit notion from the getgo. If you believe that then post your real name. I'd have more respect for ya.

In the mean time embrace your cloak of darkness like the rest of us, except DRU but you know what I think of that.

Turn that around Tyrone we will respect you more ifn you post your real name too.

[laf]

God, I hope this is the last time I have to defend myself.

I am not reckless...really stupid when it comes to climbing, but not reckless by any means. I have fought wildland fire for eight seasons and have been a sawyer and a squadboss on a shot crew, even incident commander of several smaller fires....safety has always been first and foremost. I was trained and trained and trained again, I was asked to practice in the field and was tested constantly of what I should do in this situation or that. I rappelled out of helicopters for crying out loud..if that isn't risky and has a need for extreme vigilence!

In my climbing world, it was a sport not a passion, something I didn't do very often and took lightly (obviously the wrong approach, and for the 100th time, I have learned my lesson)

I am beginning to fly planes, yes just a beginner (for you trask), again a very risky endeavor...but I am going through the proper training to learn how to fly properly and safely and how to handle it correctly in case of even the slightest of irregularities.

I wasn't asking for sympathy, just to get it off my chest, i absorbed everyone's feedback...good and bad. I lost a friend out this whole thing but I think I am a better person now cuz I realize what an idiot I really was.

Oh and selbracher, I'm not a quitter, this feeling of giving climbing a rest has been coming on for a while now...maybe that explains the complacency?

Thanks Norman for your input. I just saw it as I was ready to post this one. I am glad I put this topic up though cuz then SK/JK never would have told me how they felt to my face.

Everyone quit posting now eh?

never this thread is just warming up. uit was dying off then tyrone and chippy did the "Dan Larson" (ref Muir on Saturday) which is like pouring gas on a campfire.Now if only someone will compare your experience to Al Gore or something then MtnGoat will start posting and the thread will reach 200 pages by next week [Roll Eyes]

Well Dru, I guess I will ignore this thread from here on out...I've said all I need to say so if ya'll wanna fan the flames by making assumptions go right on ahead....

ever put a can of kippered herring on a campfire after eating the herring? the results are spectacular

I think the thing that makes this thread so interesting (besides trask playing nice-guy)is it shows how different personalities see the situation differently, communicate differently, and even take offense at others' communications because they perceive them as off-the-wall.

Norman, I think the criticisms were harshly communicated, and I think it's unfortunate if Anna has taken it personally. But on the other hand, I understand the point that if you believe you know a lot about flying, for instance, and you've just soloed for the first time, maybe your self-confidence and drive is notched up a tad too high for technically demanding pastimes where life hangs in the balance. When I board an airplane, I look into the cockpit and hope that the person in the left seat scores middle-of-the-road on emotional intensity, and mid- to high-range on intuition...but not too extreme. And I pray to God that it's not Kerouac's Dean Moriority at the helm!

Dear Fence Sitter,

The Doctor will meet you on November 9th at 11 a.m. at the Jantzen Beach shopping center in front of the Home Depot to hand over the goods. Please bring cash, as DFA does not know you well enough to accept a check.

Thank you,

Dr. Flash Amazing