road to d-town OPEN

turn_one

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was with Turn One on the ill-fated early season attempt at access, and promptly called the station for info. They didn't have alot to add. We speculate that they may have some machines up there to facilitate the fix, and do not want vandalism, etc...

Kind of interesting, I've been going up there for over a decade, and have never been blockaded by concrete- time for that Honda 90

MH

• 1 month later...
That's the truth, there have been rumbles about closing this road, so I'm happy to hear they're working on fixing it.
Presumably the reason for the closure was work in progress, but I was in there on Saturday and there is no evidence whatsoever that they are working on that road. The ranger I spoke to didn't have an explanation for why the road is closed.

• 3 weeks later...

If it were not for a concrete barrier at the five or six mile mark, you could drive it all the way to at least Three O'Clock Rock trailhead (Eightmile Trail). We did that stretch on bicycles and while the road is quite rough, I could see no justification for keeping it closed.

Edited by catbirdseat

I heard that the forest service has deemed the road not safe and in need of repair. when will repair happen? who knows but it may not be this summer. hopefully we can do something to generate some support, you know any congress men or women?, and encourage the FS to open the road back up.

i really wanted to do dreamer this summer, 5 miles of biking will just add to the challange.

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like we have a winner! The roadway supervisor in the Sedro Wooley office called me to say I could tell folks to stop writing and phoning them about the Darrington road now because they are having a contractor start work on the road repair next week.

It still wouldn't hurt to send them a letter - but it would be more like "thank you for maintaining access" as opposed to "we're mad because you closed the road."

The Darrington district has been supportive of climbing throughout the years. Lets keep it that way.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In fact, the road is much better than Hanman's post would suggest. They did a fantastic job with the repair and, at least as far as the Blueberry Hill or 3:00 Rock trailheads, it is smoother than it was last year.

See you up there.