Bush administration bribed journalists

Alpinfox

Radio commentator recieves $241,000 to push "No Child Left Behind" Act

Bush admin pays actors to pose as TV journalists "reporting" on medicare

White House rewarded magazines for publishing anti-drug articles.

Stop Bush Administration Pay-Offs To Journalists

In case anyone was wondering, it is not only unethical for the US government to engage in propaganda, it's also ILLEGAL. The Anti-Lobbying act of 1919 and the Anti-Deficiency act of 1906 make it illegal for the government to use federal funds for "propaganda purposes" or to "influence public opinion" within the US.

This makes me very angry.

Armstrong Williams (the journalist) should be sacked.

Margaret Spellings (Sec. of Education) should be sacked.*

George Bush should be sacked.

thumbs_down.gifthumbs_down.gifthumbs_down.gifthumbs_down.gifthumbs_down.gif

Edit: *Apparently this happened under the helm of Sec. Paige. Too bad he's gone now so we can't fire him.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But anyways, it's what the American people want!

One in three American high school students believe the press should be more restricted, and even more say the government should approve newspaper stories before readers see them, a new survey says. Thirty-six percent of the 112,000 students polled think that newspapers should have to get government approval before printing a story, while 51 percent believe papers should be able to publish freely, according to a First Amendment rights survey conducted by the University of Connecticut. The concept of a free press being essential to a free society appears to be eroding

From today's Wired News.

This story broke several weeks ago...

OK, well I guess I'll just shut up then. rolleyes.gifmoon.gif

Here is a copy of an email I'm sending to Maria Cantwell and Patty Murray:

I am outraged by the recent report that the Sec of Education paid $240,000 to radio commentator Armstrong Williams to promote the "No Child Left Behind" Act. This is illegal under the Anti-Lobbying act of 1919, the Anti-Deficiency act of 1906 and, and the 1st Amendment to the Constitution . This transgression should be prosecuted and those responsible (Secretary Paige) should be fired. Additionally, steps should be taken to recover the funds illegally paid out by the department. The health of our democracy is at stake!

Sincerely,

Email Maria Cantwell

Email Patty Murray

One in three American high school students believe the press should be more restricted, and even more say the government should approve newspaper stories before readers see them, a new survey says. Thirty-six percent of the 112,000 students polled think that newspapers should have to get government approval before printing a story, while 51 percent believe papers should be able to publish freely, according to a First Amendment rights survey conducted by the University of Connecticut. The concept of a free press being essential to a free society appears to be eroding

This is the scariest thing I have read in a long time.

This is the scariest thing I have read in a long time.

It is scary how conservative teenagers have become these days - inlcuding one of my own. confused.gif

Hmm I wonder if there could be a link between media outlets being bribed to promote certain views, and the incidence of people accepting those views? Oh wait, propaganda and advertising don't work because human beings are rational creatures who make informed decisions and can discount biased information!

link

MODERN PROPAGANDA

The very nature of the Cold War assured great reliance on propaganda by both sides. In the United States, efforts were spearheaded by the United States Information Agency and Radio Free Europe. At the same time the Communist regimes put their best face forward with "official" images of smiling peasants and productive workers.

Today there is an academic field dedicated to the study of propaganda. Scholars, and interested surfers, can view online exhibits of Chinese propaganda like "The Chairman Smiles" from the International Institute of Social History and even read some of the United States own Cold War efforts in the National Security Archive .

Perhaps the Centre for the study of Political Graphics best illustrates the dual nature of propaganda — the propagation of doctrine for persuasion and the use of symbols to create cohesion. The Center collects contemporary and recent images — everything from Che T-shirts to the pink triangle. Do they inform or manipulate? Perhaps history will tell.

and some really funny anti-propaganda propaganda!

PG_05218.jpg

There is a film out, in my local video rental store, called "Faren-hype 911" that is a rebuttal to Moore's film. I guess that would be anti-anti-propaganda propaganda!! evils3d.gif

I used to teach high school and one of the projects that I had the kids do was to create the laws for a make-believe society. The laws the kids came up were far more extreme than anything that I would have imagined.

One kid felt that there should be one type of punishment and nothing else. He pitched that law-breakers should be placed in a box and fed nothing but peanut butter until they learned their lesson. This was also a kid who'd spent time in juvy... It didn't seem to bother him that were he living in the society that he created, he would be very sick of peanut butter.

What was interesting was that many of the kids that were the most likely to have been harrassed by police or the kids that had been caught with drugs, these were the kids with the most extreme views. And these were the kids who felt abused by laws that weren't very extreme at all.

Most teenagers in the United States have no idea what they have. As such, I think that they are more likely to take what they have for granted.

Jason

How is it that so many feel so powerless against our own "democratic" government. We see the problems developing before our eyes, yet, we have no power to stop them. If we continue down this path, Bush's influence will create a GOP only government. When can we finally get a few people in Washington DC that don't rely on the mighty dollar to make a decision.

Is that your Prime Minister on the currency up there?

yelrotflmao.gif

Actually they do have a loon, but they still seem to love the queen.

I hope I never have to choose between Jeb and Hillary. Basically you're pro monarchy if you vote for Jeb, and Hillary is kind of the same thing.